Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

David Kindred takes a look at a previous Ipswich school, Martin Newbys in Fore Street, and Fisons works at Cliff Quay. Does this article bring back memories for you?

A part of Ipswich which has seen many changes in the past century is the area between the wet dock (now known as the Waterfront) and Fore Hamlet, writes David Kindred.

Fisons Cliff Quay, Ipswich works, occupied a large site and employed hundreds of people, writes David Kindred.

Two department shops in Fore Street, Ipswich, trading in a way of shopping now mostly lost, were H and R Sneezum and Martin and Newby, writes David Kindred.

Pictures of the Orwell Bridge being made, the destruction caused by the storm of 1987, and the Wherstead interchange under construction are included in David Kindred’s Days Gone By gallery.

Bishop’s Hill and Fore Hamlet, Ipswich, is a busy route to and from the east side of town.

Photographs of familiar locations, as they were in the past, fascinate most people, writes David Kindred.

Ipswich Hospital is a constantly evolving site off Heath Road. It is busy 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

The coast of California USA and Fore Street, Ipswich swimming pool are worlds apart in several ways, but for former Ipswich lady, Karen Quezada, nee Spanner, who now lives in California, the little Victorian built pool in Ipswich holds a special place in her heart.

Plans were approved recently to convert the former Odeon Cinema in Ipswich to a church.

Looking back to school days 40 years ago we see fashions of the time.

For 63 years the Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society has entertained thousands with their colourful shows at local theatres.

For generations, Grimwades shop on the Cornhill, Ipswich, was a landmark and although it closed in 1996 the building is still referred to by many as “Grimwades”.

Working horses on our streets are a very rare sight now and are usually for demonstration or promotional events. The same is true in farming, with horse power replaced in another form.

The Ipswich Scout and Guide Gang Show celebrated its 80th birthday a couple of weeks ago and in this week’s Days Gone By we have featured photographs from past shows, along with photographs from other youth organisation events.

Ipswich Dock was completed in 1842. The Royal Assent from Queen Victoria for the Ipswich Dock Act was received in June 1837.

William Lovell was the chief librarian with the East Anglian Daily Times Company for several decades.

St Helen’s Street is one of the oldest streets in Ipswich. It is now one of the busiest routes through Ipswich, taking thousands of vehicles across town everyday.

In February it was announced that the Bupa care home, Anglesea Heights, Ipswich, was to close.

For close to 60 years college buildings have stood on a site off Grimwade Street, Ipswich.

In 1982 the Fire Brigade moved to a new fire station in Princes Street, Ipswich.

In June 1992, East Anglian Daily Times and Evening Star staff photographer Owen Hines flew from Ipswich Airport to capture the Ipswich area from the air.

Shops that have gone from the Ipswich town centre, and largely failed shopping developments in the town, feature in this weeks Days Gone By.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds nature reserve at Minsmere, is part of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths area of outstanding natural beauty and the Suffolk Heritage Coast.

Thatching has been practiced for hundreds of years, and still protects many Suffolk churches, homes and barns from the elements.

Pin Mill is a popular destination for sailors, walkers, artists, photographers and those visiting the centuries old Butt and Oyster public house.

Sea Road, Felixstowe was built during the Victorian period and more buildings were added during the Edwardian era, as the town expanded along towards Landguard Point.

The events in January 1868 started on a Monday evening (January 27) with the mayor, John Patterson Cobbold, inviting around 600 “principal citizens” to a “Conversazione”.

Circuses with performing animals are, fortunately, largely consigned to history in Britain.

Much of the area of Ipswich, bound by Cauldwell Hall Road, Woodbridge Road and Foxhall Road, is part of the town developed by the Suffolk Freehold Land Society.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24