Bungay: Historic King’s Head Hotel is sold for nearly £350,000
PUBLISHED: 06:00 08 May 2014
The King’s Head Hotel in Market Place, Bungay, has been sold through hotel and leisure specialists Fleurets off a freehold asking price of £349,500.
The former coaching inn has 13 en-suite letting bedrooms, two function rooms (licensed for 75 and 100 people respectively), residents’ lounge, restaurant, lounge bar and a large car park.
The hotel has been in the same family ownership for over 20 years but until recently the business had been let on a commercial lease, since 1997.
The hotel is in a prominent position in the centre of Bungay close to the Buttercross. Due to the fact that the tenant was prepared to give vacant possession, the owners decided to sell the freehold.
The historic coaching inn dates from the 16th Century but like other prominent buildings in the centre of Bungay was destroyed in the town’s great fire of March, 1688.
Like many ancient buildings it is reputed to have a resident ghost and has been visited by paranormal enthusiast over the years.
The King’s Head is also the venue for the Waveney Harriers who meet there with horses and hounds for the traditional Boxing Day hunt.
In recent years the hunt follows a pre-laid trail and no longer hunts for hares but the colourful spectacle still attracts many hundreds of spectators every year.