March 15 2014 Latest news:
Friday, December 13, 2013
People who campaigned for more than a decade to stop retail giant Tesco from building a supermarket in their town are celebrating the news that the battle appears to be over.
In September, Babergh District Council refused the company’s bid to put a store on the former Brett works.
However those who have protested against four separate planning applications by Tesco to build on the site feared the retailer would appeal against the decision.
So yesterday’s announcement that they had decided not to take the case to the Government’s planning inspectorate came as welcome news.
A Tesco spokesman said although they were disappointed the plans had been refused, they “respected the democratic planning process.”
Jan Byrne, who headed the Hands Off Hadleigh campaign, told the EADT she was delighted to hear that the site would not be heavily developed.
She said: “I am thrilled that the riverside walk and the beautiful green site has been saved. I am also pleased for the shopkeepers who now have a chance of surviving. It’s now up to us to keep using our high street to maintain its viability.”
Tony Addison, chairman of Hadleigh Chamber of Commerce, said the town was buzzing after the announcement.
He said: “It is nice to see that Tesco has recognised it is not a viable move and has backed off. There is now a very positive and optimistic feeling among the retailers in the town.”
TV personality Griff Rhys Jones congratulated the people of Hadleigh for winning the fight to “keep their town vibrant and beautiful”.