Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Terror attacks prompt switch to Mediterranean, says Thomas Cook

11:00 11 February 2016

Thomas Cook travel shop. Pic Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

Thomas Cook travel shop. Pic Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

Holiday firm Thomas Cook said it has switched to selling more Mediterranean trips as a response to recent terror attacks.

The group said underlying operating losses improved by 11% to £49 million in the three months to the end of December as holidaymakers sought alternatives to Tunisia and Egypt after terrorist attacks.

It described trading conditions as “challenging” in its typically less busy winter period.

Group bookings were 2% down on last year, though average selling prices increased by 4%.

The firm said there were “clear signs of recovery after customer confidence impacted by the tragic events of Paris and Istanbul”.

The firm added its winter season is 82% sold across the group, broadly the same as last year. Its group summer programme is 29% sold, which is 2% below last year.

Chief executive Peter Fankhauser said: “It is clear that the awful attacks in Paris and Istanbul impacted confidence, leading some customers to delay booking their holidays.

“However we’ve seen clear signs of recovery in recent weeks - customers still have money in their pockets, and want to go on holiday.”

Mr Fankhauser added the firm “acted fast” to offer alternative packages in the Mediterranean and Caribbean instead of Tunisia and Egypt, which contributed to a 1% rise in group revenues to £1.4 billion.

In the UK the firm said winter bookings were 2% down, but an uplift in long-haul travel saw average selling prices rise by 2%. Average summer prices in the UK are so far up by 4% after the group reduced its charter business and boosted online sales.

Analysts at Jefferies said the proactive changes to destinations, prices and volumes were helping it “navigate a tough operating environment”.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Keith Senior is pictured at Jacobs Allen in Bury St Edmunds

Concerns have been raised about how Thursday’s decision to quit the EU will affect mortgage rates and foreign travel.

Suffolk Chamber chief executive John Dugmore

The Government must press head with its commitment to major infrastructure projects in the East of England, despite uncertainty created by the UK’s vote to leave the European Union, leaders at Suffolk Chamber of Commerce said today.

The new Greene King beer café, which stands alongside the company's Bury St Edmunds brewery.

Suffolk-based pubs and brewing group Greene King has received its fifth consecutive Certificate of Excellence from travel review website TripAdvisor for the quality of its Westgate Brewery tours in Bury St Edmunds.

Starbucks in the Buttermarket which is set to close on March 19th.

A third Starbucks coffee shop is set to open in Ipswich, it has been announced – just a year after the chain pulled out of its store in the Buttermarket.

Chancellor George Osborne leaves his press conference at The Treasury, London, where he moved to try to calm market turmoil triggered by the pro-Brexit vote. 
Photo: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

An emergency budget to deal with the fallout from the referendum vote to leave the EU looks unlikely to take place until the autumn, with Chancellor George Osborne saying today it was better to delay action to shore up the public finances until a new prime minister is in place.

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24