Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 9°C

Search

At least 17 dead after gunman opens fire at US high school in Florida

PUBLISHED: 23:21 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 07:02 15 February 2018

Students wait to be picked up after a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Picture: AP/WILFREDO LEE

Students wait to be picked up after a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. Picture: AP/WILFREDO LEE

Archant

At least 17 people have been killed after a 19-year-old gunman opened fire at a Florida high school in the United States.

The suspect has been identified as Nikolas Cruz, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, who was previously expelled for disciplinary reasons.

Swat teams swarmed the school, and the gunman was arrested off the school’s campus and is in custody.

Television footage showed police putting a person in the back of a police car outside the high school.

The sheriff said the gunman had at least one rifle and multiple magazines, and most of the fatalities were inside the building though some were found outside.

There were scenes of students frantically running from the building and ambulance crews treating people outside the school on Wednesday afternoon.

Broward County Superintendent Robert Runcie said: “There are numerous fatalities. It is a horrific situation.

“It is a horrible day for us.”

The White House cancelled its daily press briefing following the news and President Donald Trump has spoken with Florida governor Rick Scott.

The president tweeted: “My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting.

“No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school.”

Parent John Obin said his son, a student at the school, was in class when he heard several shots.

The father said his son advised that teachers quickly rushed students out of the school.

“This is a really good school, and now it’s like a war zone,” Mr Obin said.

Coral Springs Police said earlier on Twitter that the school had been locked down and that students and teachers inside should remain barricaded until police reached them.

Outside, television footage showed two people on stretchers and another person being treated on the ground near the school.

Paramedics were treating those who appeared to be students with injuries.

Len Murray, whose 17-year-old son attends the school, was stopped by authorities within view of the building.

He said: “I’m scared for the other parents here. You can see the concern in everybody’s faces.

“Everybody is asking: ‘Have you heard from your child yet?”’

Police are investigating after a man’s body was found on Suffolk marshland just hours after they had been called to an illegal rave in the area.

A fun and educational event at a college in Suffolk attracted around a thousand visitors on Sunday.

A spike in Suffolk school pupil exclusions in March has raised concerns that children likely to get lower grades may be removed from mainstream schools before they sit GCSE exams.

Police are investigating after a teenager reported being sexually assaulted in Lowestoft.

Sudbury Town Council is restoring the town’s War Memorial in time to commemorate the end of World War One in November.

Rail timetables on services in many parts of Britain change dramatically on Monday as companies bring in new trains with different service patterns.

Samaritans is calling for parents, teachers and employees to put wellbeing ahead of grades this exam season.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24