Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Beccles/Haverhill: Man, 62, charged with making 40,000 child porn images

PUBLISHED: 12:14 06 May 2014

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court

Archant

A 62-year-old Suffolk man is to appear before Ipswich Crown Court later this month charged with making around 40,000 indecent images of children.

Michael Stedman was arrested last October in an operation by Suffolk police.

Stedman, of Station Road, Beccles, was arrested and questioned by officers before being released on bail pending further enquiries.

He was charged last month with six counts of making an indecent photograph/pseudo photograph of a child.

One of the charges alleges there were 18,177 indecent images on equipment he possessed.

Another alleges 20,830 images were found on a second exhibit police have put forward as part of the case.

The four other counts relate to a total of 1,464 alleged child porn images.

It is understood a majority of the accusations relate to Level One images, which are the lowest grading on the Copine Scale used to grade indecent images.

However, there are other images which are said to be at Level 5, the highest grading for child pornography.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place on or before October 23 last year and relate to still images and movies.

Stedman made his first appearance on the charges before North East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Lowestoft last Tuesday.

The case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court.

Stedman was released on conditional bail until the next hearing of his case which is scheduled for May 23.

In an unrelated case a Haverhill man is awaiting sentence after pleading guilty to four counts of making indecent photos of a child.

Anthony Johnson is said to have had more than 2,500 images on equipment belonging to him at the time of his arrest.

Johnson, of Chestnut Close, Haverhill, pleaded guilty to the charges when he appeared before West Suffolk Magistrates Court in Bury St Edmunds.

The 41-year-old’s case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing.

The hearing is to take place some time in the next few weeks.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24