December 6 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Nearly 30,000 properties in Suffolk were still without power on Monday night, making the county the worst affected in the east of England region.
More than 300,000 properties across the region were affected by power cuts as a result of Monday morning’s storm, which also caused major problems for Suffolk’s road and rail networks.
Engineers were continuing their work last night to restore power to properties which had been hit by cuts.
In total, 28,000 were still without power in Suffolk last night and 25,000 in Essex. By comparison, just 900 in Norfolk were still affected.
A UK Power Networks spokesman said: “The electricity network is built to be resilient but extreme weather can see wind-borne debris being blown on to our overhead power lines.
“We activated the early stages of our emergency plans on Friday and brought in additional staff covering engineering, technical and call centre roles.”
In anticipation of Monday’s strong winds, the power company said it had five times the number of engineers it would normally have on a working day, at 750, with extra call advisors on hand to answer calls from members of the public.