December 7 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, October 31, 2013
A Suffolk pub had to be evacuated following a fire which caused smoke to billow through the building.
Crews were called to a chimney fire in The Plough Inn, Bludeston, just after 6.30pm.
Manager Paige Brooks, 21, evacuated her dozen or so customers as fire alarms sounded only to see flames light up the night sky from the chimney outside.
“Something got stuck in the chimney, so the fire brigade were called for safety,” she said.
“We evacuated the pub and got everyone out. We made sure the fire brigade had it under control and waited for them to allow us back in.”
Customers and staff were outside for about half an hour before they were called back inside the building which dates back to the 18th century.
Firefighters continued working in the pub, near Lowestoft, but called for a hydraulic platform from Great Yarmouth Fire Station.
The fire was under control just before 8.30pm. No-one was hurt in the incident.