Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Bradfield Combust: War memorial project traces men’s families

PUBLISHED: 15:18 20 June 2014 | UPDATED: 15:18 20 June 2014

The families of five men from west Suffolk who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars have now been traced as a project to create a village war memorial gains momentum.

Andy Tucker, who retired from the Royal Air Force as a Wing Commander after a 32-year career, has spearheaded the parish council initiative for the memorial on the village green in Bradfield Combust.

It will honour four men the village lost during the First World War, and four in the Second.

Mr Tucker, a councillor on Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield Parish Council, said the families of Private Gault, Second Lieutenant Makin, Pte Middleditch and brothers Sergeant Derrick Savoy and Sgt Gerald Savoy had now been tracked down.

Clive Boughton, 59, from Thurston, and who is a nephew of the Savoy brothers who both died at the age of 21, learned of the war memorial project by reading an article in the Mercury, the Eadt’s sister paper. He will be attending the unveiling ceremony on August 2 along with other members of his family, and the families of three of the other men.

He described the memorial project as “absolutely fantastic”. “I think it’s great,” he said.

Mr Tucker said according to forces’ war records Derrick Savoy, who served with RAF Squadron No. 106, was killed when his Lancaster bomber crashed at Grünwald in Germany. His brother Gerald had been a flight engineer.

Mr Tucker said he was “over the moon” with the success of memorial scheme.

The war memorial in Stanningfield will also be cleaned as part of the parish council project, and enough funds have been raised for a donation of £1,700 to the Royal British Legion’s poppy appeal.

Snow could fall in parts of Suffolk this morning as temperatures dropped overnight.

Trains between London and Norwich are being cancelled this morning as a result of engineering work not having been completed on time.

Police and firefighters were called to a suspected arson attack in Carlton Colville in the early hours of this morning.

Police are searching for a 52-year-old man from Leavenheath who has been reported missing.

Police have arrested a 66-year-old man in connection with an incident that caused armed officers to swoop on Ipswich town centre tonight.

Highways bosses have announced they will be carrying out a series of improvements to the road network across Suffolk and north Essex this week.

Kebab fans will be excited to hear a new fast food outlet that prides itself on making top quality versions of the takeaway staple is opening in Ipswich soon.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24