Bradfield Combust: New war memorial to be unveiled to remember eight men

Sunday, June 8, 2014
10:12 AM

A “fitting memorial” to remember eight men a west Suffolk village lost in the First and Second World Wars will be unveiled later this summer.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Andy Tucker, who retired from the Royal Air Force as a Wing Commander after a 32-year career, has spearheaded the parish council initiative for the memorial on the village green in Bradfield Combust.

Mr Tucker, a councillor on Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield Parish Council, had been researching the stories of the four men the village lost in the First World War and suggested to the parish council it could consider a memorial to coincide with this year’s centenary.

On August 2 – two days before the centenary of the start of the conflict – the new memorial will be unveiled at an event with the families of three of the eight men, parishioners and Armed Forces organisations including the Royal British Legion (RBL).

Mr Tucker said: “With the First World War centenary falling on August 4, our small community is very proud to have raised the funds to erect a fitting memorial to honour those our village lost in the First and Second World Wars.”

The names of the eight men to be honoured are: Second Lieutenant J Makin, Private J E Culling, Pte H W Gault and Pte A J Smith (who died in the First World War) and Pte W Middleditch, Trooper B F Talbott and brothers Sergeant D W Savoy and Sgt G H Savoy (who died in the Second World War).

The engraving will also read: “We will remember them and all who have suffered in conflict.”

Mr Tucker said as well as remembering the servicemen who lost their lives it was also important to remember the civilian sacrifices.

He said the military and civilian losses resonated with him as the First World War was “just 100 years ago”.

Fundraising will pay for the new war memorial, wreaths to be laid at the unveiling and also the cleaning of the Stanningfield memorial.

Mr Tucker added he is confident enough money would be raised to enable a donation to the RBL’s poppy appeal.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT