Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bradfield Combust: War memorial project traces men’s families

15:18 20 June 2014

The families of five men from west Suffolk who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars have now been traced as a project to create a village war memorial gains momentum.

shares

Andy Tucker, who retired from the Royal Air Force as a Wing Commander after a 32-year career, has spearheaded the parish council initiative for the memorial on the village green in Bradfield Combust.

It will honour four men the village lost during the First World War, and four in the Second.

Mr Tucker, a councillor on Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield Parish Council, said the families of Private Gault, Second Lieutenant Makin, Pte Middleditch and brothers Sergeant Derrick Savoy and Sgt Gerald Savoy had now been tracked down.

Clive Boughton, 59, from Thurston, and who is a nephew of the Savoy brothers who both died at the age of 21, learned of the war memorial project by reading an article in the Mercury, the Eadt’s sister paper. He will be attending the unveiling ceremony on August 2 along with other members of his family, and the families of three of the other men.

He described the memorial project as “absolutely fantastic”. “I think it’s great,” he said.

Mr Tucker said according to forces’ war records Derrick Savoy, who served with RAF Squadron No. 106, was killed when his Lancaster bomber crashed at Grünwald in Germany. His brother Gerald had been a flight engineer.

Mr Tucker said he was “over the moon” with the success of memorial scheme.

The war memorial in Stanningfield will also be cleaned as part of the parish council project, and enough funds have been raised for a donation of £1,700 to the Royal British Legion’s poppy appeal.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Police are searching for 15-year-old Niamh McGovern, who has gone missing from Braintree (pictured)

Police say they are concerned for the welfare of a 15-year-old girl who has gone missing from Braintree.

Maj Bruce Ekman, 36, of Colchester-based 16 Air Assault Brigade, who suffered serious injuries when his vehicle hit an IED in Afghanistan in 2011, is taking part in the Invictus Games process for a second time. Photo: Cpl James McAllister

A soldier whose left foot was shattered by an explosive in Afghanistan is in the running for a place on the UK team at the next Invictus Games.

Mouth cancer survivor Sam Fordham with husband Neil and five-year-old daughter Molly

A woman who beat mouth cancer has said it is vital people who think they have symptoms of any form of the disease gets them checked out early.

An Abellio Greater Anglia train

There are delays of up to 20 minutes for rail users travelling between Ipswich and Cambridge due to a signalling fault.

Pupils at Farlingaye High, Woodbridge, prepare their presentations as part of the Most Able Student Day at the school.

Gifted pupils gathered for the latest in a series of events aimed at helping them realise their early academic promise.

Rail passengers will be bussed to Newbury Park Tube station.

A 100-strong fleet of buses was rolling into action today to keep passengers moving between East Anglia and London as the first weekend rail line closure takes effect.

A library photo of the M25, which has been hit by severe delays today by a car transporter fire

Two lanes of the anti-clockwise M25 in Essex remain closed after a major car transporter blaze was tackled by firefighters in the county.

Most read

Fred Olsen Travel Sale

cover

Click here to view
the Fred Olsen
Travel Sale

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24