Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Bury St Edmunds: £1m work completed at historic Abbeygate Picturehouse

PUBLISHED: 10:10 26 November 2012 | UPDATED: 11:04 26 November 2012

Re-opening of Abbeygate Picture house in Hatter Street, Bury, following a full refurbishment. Left to right, Jonathan Carpenter (assistant manager) and Pat Church (manager).

Re-opening of Abbeygate Picture house in Hatter Street, Bury, following a full refurbishment. Left to right, Jonathan Carpenter (assistant manager) and Pat Church (manager).

Archant

WORK at a famous building, costing up to £1million, has been completed and is set to turn it into a major cultural centre.

Abbeygate Picture House, in the historic core of Bury St Edmunds, has been through ups and downs, including coming close to closing down.

But it is hoped new facilities following the completion of a two-year refurbishment project will secure its future for many years to come. The cinema, in Hatter Street, now has a new bar, cafe and restaurant, a function room, new toilets, disabled facilities, including a lift, and new entrance and internal layout.

Manager Pat Church, who started working at the cinema as a projectionist in 1966, said it was “just like winning an Oscar” to see the work completed.

The cinema attracts audiences from far and wide with some coming from Essex and Bedfordshire.

“We are so busy now and the work has transformed the cinema and we want to make it a complete evening out for customers, that’s the main aim and we can now do that.

“People travel up to 40 and 50 miles to visit us and we are now in a position to be a major cultural centre of Bury St Edmunds.”

Films are shown seven days a week at the complex which employs 15 staff including Mr Church.

“The work has helped secure the future of the cinema. It’s been a long time coming and the investment bodes well for us,” he added.

Opening in Hatter Street in 1924 as a large 900-seat auditorium, it was a mix of music hall, live shows, and film interludes. In 1930 a fire forced the Central – as it was known then – to turn into a full-time cinema, becoming the Abbeygate Cinema in 1959.

Not so long ago, when it was known as the Hollywood Cinema, it was earmarked for closure, but in 2010 it was taken over by Picturehouse Cinemas and became Abbeygate Picture House.

Mr Church said that going to the cinema would “no longer be a quick in and out event,” and the bar, cafe and restaurant would also be open to non-cinemagoers.

0 comments

Tendring is the antidepressant capital of East Anglia according to a new study – and the Suffolk districts of Waveney and Babergh are not far behind.

A go-getting parish council, three popular pubs and plenty of community spirit are some of the ingredients singled out for earning Shotley the chance of being named the country’s ‘village of the year’.

Bookies are tipping the Missing People Choir which has among its membership Suffolk’s Nicki Durbin – to be named winners of this year’s Britain’s Got Talent.

Bosses at the Suffolk Food Hall hope to set a new world record for the most people eating a sausage roll in the same place at the same time.

The first runners from our region have recovered enough after finishing the London Marathon to take selfies and let their family and friends back home how they feel.

Trains between London and Ipswich faced cancellation and delay this evening as attempts were made to remove a trespasser from the rail line.

Young people who were representing Scouting during the Saint George’s Day parades have been a “credit” to their communities.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24