Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

Bury St Edmunds: Controversial decision to approve a waste transfer station in Rougham Hill was lawful, but an alternative site may now have been found

PUBLISHED: 14:30 23 July 2014

The Recycling Centre in Bury.

The Recycling Centre in Bury.

Archant

A controversial decision to grant planning permission for a waste transfer station on the edge of Bury St Edmunds was lawfully made, a High Court judge has ruled.

A ‘fighting fund’ was set up by a group of people concerned about the potential impact of the proposed facility in Rougham Hill after Suffolk County Council approved it in October last year.

The group were worried about a range of issues including the effect extra heavy goods vehicles would have on an already congested part of the town and possible odour and noise issues from the facility.

The opposition resulted in the case going to the Royal Courts of Justice yesterday, but it was ruled that the planning decision was made after following ‘published planning policies’ and with ‘full access to the relevant information’.

The decision means the county council now has the right to build the transfer station, but the authority has pledged to continue to work with St Edmundsbury Borough Council to find alternative sites.

County council’s cabinet member for resource management and waste, Jenny Antill, said: “We fully recognise the right of those opposed to this waste transfer station to challenge it. But today, a High Court judge has independently validated our long-held position that our decision-making process was robust and appropriate.

“Now that this legal challenge is finally over, we will continue to work with St Edmundsbury Borough Council to investigate and evaluate the alternative sites they have proposed. Nothing has changed in that respect.

“Up until this point, the threat of the judicial review has significantly constrained our ability to engage in this very serious process as fully as we would have wished to.

“As we have said before, we will consider any alternative proposals based on their merits, bearing in mind what is in the best interest of Suffolk.”

Investigation work has looked at the possibility of a new combined waste and depot facility on land off Compiegne Way in Bury St Edmunds.

This follows a proposal approved by the borough on June 30 to spend up to £100,000 to investigate the feasibility of the site, as well as securing an option to buy the land.

An initial review of the 16-acre greenfield site at Hollow Road Farm has found it could be suitable. An extensive feasibility study will now take place, as well as preliminary design work.

Leader of the council, John Griffiths, said: “This is an ambitious and innovative project, even by St Edmundsbury’s own high standards, but it has serious potential.

“By co-locating these facilities in one place we would cut the amount of travelling and journeys our vehicles have to cover as well as reducing management and facility costs.”

Peter Stevens, portfolio holder for waste and property, added: “It could lead to a multitude of savings, partnerships and more efficient ways of working, all of which will benefit our services and cut the costs to the taxpayer.”

The transfer station will allow waste to be bulked up into bigger lorries so ‘traffic movements and costs can be minimised’ when it is transported to the new Energy from Waste facility in Great Blakenham, near Ipswich, which is expected to be fully operational in December.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More checks have been carried out in Ipswich by police investigating the murder of a man earlier this year.

Jeff Bray will stand for UKIP in the Clacton seat being vacated by Douglas Carswell.

A victim of two burglaries in two months has appealed for witnesses after a gang of criminals decided to take “a day out in west Suffolk”.

A high-profile former politician will bring plenty of pomp to a leading role in a spectacular family pantomime in Suffolk.

Posters have been put up in Ipswich calling for bus passengers to help in a police enquiry.

Suffolk firefighters have managed to put out a blaze which sparked in a shed in Rushmere St Andrew this evening.

A lifelong Ipswich Town fan is to jet off on a 1,000-mile round trip from Madrid to Portman Road and back again to make sure he sees his oldest son play in a cup final.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24