Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 16°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: £1m work completed at historic Abbeygate Picturehouse

10:10 26 November 2012

Re-opening of Abbeygate Picture house in Hatter Street, Bury, following a full refurbishment. Left to right, Jonathan Carpenter (assistant manager) and Pat Church (manager).

Re-opening of Abbeygate Picture house in Hatter Street, Bury, following a full refurbishment. Left to right, Jonathan Carpenter (assistant manager) and Pat Church (manager).

Archant

WORK at a famous building, costing up to £1million, has been completed and is set to turn it into a major cultural centre.

Abbeygate Picture House, in the historic core of Bury St Edmunds, has been through ups and downs, including coming close to closing down.

But it is hoped new facilities following the completion of a two-year refurbishment project will secure its future for many years to come. The cinema, in Hatter Street, now has a new bar, cafe and restaurant, a function room, new toilets, disabled facilities, including a lift, and new entrance and internal layout.

Manager Pat Church, who started working at the cinema as a projectionist in 1966, said it was “just like winning an Oscar” to see the work completed.

The cinema attracts audiences from far and wide with some coming from Essex and Bedfordshire.

“We are so busy now and the work has transformed the cinema and we want to make it a complete evening out for customers, that’s the main aim and we can now do that.

“People travel up to 40 and 50 miles to visit us and we are now in a position to be a major cultural centre of Bury St Edmunds.”

Films are shown seven days a week at the complex which employs 15 staff including Mr Church.

“The work has helped secure the future of the cinema. It’s been a long time coming and the investment bodes well for us,” he added.

Opening in Hatter Street in 1924 as a large 900-seat auditorium, it was a mix of music hall, live shows, and film interludes. In 1930 a fire forced the Central – as it was known then – to turn into a full-time cinema, becoming the Abbeygate Cinema in 1959.

Not so long ago, when it was known as the Hollywood Cinema, it was earmarked for closure, but in 2010 it was taken over by Picturehouse Cinemas and became Abbeygate Picture House.

Mr Church said that going to the cinema would “no longer be a quick in and out event,” and the bar, cafe and restaurant would also be open to non-cinemagoers.

0 comments

Manningtree High School maths teacher Miss Ania Kolendo with some of her straight A students.

While pupils nervously see what they have got, it is easy to forget that results day is also an anxious time for teachers.

East Anglian Air Ambulance

A motorcyclist has been injured in a crash which blocked a road on the Suffolk/Norfolk border today.

HM Coastguard

Four people have been taken to hospital following a crash involving a speedboat at Oulton Broad.

Binge-drinker's night out ban

A binge-drinking plasterer has been banned from going out on Fridays and Saturdays after assaulting a police officer while being drunk and disorderly.

Arrests made

Police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen the victim of an assault in Stowmarket soon after the incident occurred.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A Felixstowe bricklayer told magistrates he was ashamed after swearing at police while drunk and telling them taking him to court would be a waste of time.

Readers have shared their Pigs Gone Wild selfies and family photos as the trail reaches its final few days in Ipswich

We will miss them when they are gone but there are still seven days left to see the pigs in situ around Ipswich town centre.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24