max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: Concerns over Tollgate Primary and Howard Middle delay schools shake-up

08:00 28 February 2014

Sweeping changes to education in Bury St Edmunds have taken yet another twist after a group of opposition councillors delayed the decision in an attempt to stop Suffolk County Council “railroading” the proposals through.


A group of Labour county councillors have demanded the results of the town’s school organisation review (SOR) be heard by the council’s scrutiny committee, despite its cabinet approving the proposals earlier this week.

The move to convert 20 schools in Bury to a two-tier system has now been delayed until the scrutiny committee passes judgement on the plans next month.

Sandy Martin, one of five to have called the decision in, said their objections centre on the inclusion of Tollgate Primary and Howard Middle in the restructuring, despite opposition from both schools.

Both schools have made moves in recent weeks to become academies and join the Bury St Edmunds Academy Trust, which is headed by County Upper - the closest high school to both Tollgate and Howard.

Mr Martin said: “The county council has a view, which I’m not necessarily arguing with, that the whole education system across the county should be a two-tier system.

“But now they’ve got a situation with different schools being able to do different things. They can’t get a ‘one school fits all’ approach through anymore,

“What it seems they’re doing is trying to railroad through what they would have been able to do five years ago, but in the face of opposition at the academy and some of the other schools.”

Tollgate Primary School has been in special measures since November 2012.

Earlier this month the school’s governors applied to become an academy, but Suffolk County Council moved to replace them with an interim executive board days later - a move that had been in the pipeline since January.

The Labour group put forward four faults in cabinet’s decision - the uncertainty surrounding Tollgate, the way consultation results were analysed, a lack of information about the academy trust, and a lack of detail about plans for a new high school in Moreton Hall.

Council officers accepted all the arguments bar the lack of information about the academy trust.

The Bury St Edmunds Academy Trust is made up of four schools - one primary, two middle and one upper - in a three-tier system with an “all-through” model, which is designed to track children all the way through their education.

County Upper, which was rated “outstanding” in every aspect by Ofsted in September, has traditionally served the Howard and Mildenhall Road estates, where Tollgate Primary and Howard Middle are based.

The proposals will be judged by the scrutiny committee on Wednesday, March 12.



East Anglian Air Ambulance

The A134 at Assington is closed in both directions due to a serious single-vehicle crash.

The police investigation centre in Martlesham.

One woman was taken to hospital and 20 other people into police custody today after they were discovered in a lorry container.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne leaves the Treasury in London for the House of Commons, where Osborne will deliver his Autumn Statement. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 3, 2014. See PA story BUDGET Main. Photo credit should read: Hannah McKay/PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne will declare a crisis in home ownership as he unveils a raft of measures he claims will see 400,000 new homes built across England.

Man who appeared drunk in Sudbury taken to hospital.

A man was taken to hospital after he was seen staggering in a road in Sudbury.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

Tidal Surge around Suffolk's coast has caused major disruptions. Huge waves crash over sea defences in Southwold.

A predicted combination of high spring tides and strong winds from the north-west later this week has sparked a warning of potential flooding in coastal Suffolk.

Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.


Community leaders have chosen the organisation which will provide activities for the young people of a Suffolk market town as part of a £60,000-plus youth project.

Issy Mead celebrates Christmas

Each year, Stacy Mead proudly posts photos of her heavily adorned Christmas tree on Facebook, just like hundreds of other mum’s excitedly awaiting the arrival of that one magical day.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24