Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: Four schools set to close as town moves towards controversial two-tier system

15:37 18 February 2014

Lexie Gedge (9) petitioned against the planned closure of St Louis Middle in Bury.

Lexie Gedge (9) petitioned against the planned closure of St Louis Middle in Bury.


Sweeping reforms to education in Bury St Edmunds look set to be given the go-ahead after an extensive consultation found that most people favoured the controversial move to a two-tier system.

Suffolk County Council yesterday announced its cabinet would be advised to recommend moving 20 schools in the town from three-tier to a two-tier system - including the closure of four middle schools.

It comes after a two-month consultation found that 54% wanted the town’s schools to become two tier, a change that has happened or is already happening elsewhere in the county.

Joy Stodart, the council’s project lead for the school organisational review (SOR), said: “The consultation we have conducted has been thorough and it is on the basis of these results, and the fact that they are in line with our published policies, that we are making these recommendations to councillors.

“It is now for the cabinet to make a decision based on the information we have gathered.

“If legal notices are published there will, of course, be more opportunities for people to give their views.”

The changes will affect all schools in the Bury Schools Partnership and the town’s three Catholic schools.

Hardwick, Howard, St James and St Louis middle schools will all close under the changes, which will have been fully implemented by September 2016.

Four schools that have formed an all-through academy trust - Barrow Primary, Horringer Court Middle, Westley Middle and County Upper - will be unaffected.

Of the 1,111 people that completed the consultation questionnaire or wrote to the county council, 603 backed the move to two-tier in Bury, with 374 disagreeing.

The consultation, which was prompted by the Bury Schools Partnership, saw more than 1,500 people attend public events between October and December, and a council spokesman said their views were also taken into account.

Should Suffolk County Council’s cabinet approve the changes at next week’s meeting, detailed proposals will be published for each school and permission will be sought to create a new secondary school.

The public will then have four weeks to comment before a final decision is made by cabinet in April, with the first raft of changes being made in time for the start of the 2015 school year.

Next week’s cabinet meeting will take place at West Suffolk House in Bury on Tuesday, starting at 11am.

1 comment

  • Interesting- most people in favour of two tier! All schools in Bury St Edmunds to be affected had SOR meetings. According to the BFP figures 658 questionnaires returned with 54% approving of the move to two tier, 33.9% objecting. 87.9% accounted for - what happened to the remaining 12.1%? No wonder they are in a muddle as their maths isn't too brilliant!! Also not an overwhelming majority and bearing in mind how difficult the whole SOR site was to navigate I imagine many people gave up as when I went online to complete the process was a nightmare. Public consultation - what a sham.

    Report this comment


    Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Christopher Revens after surgery with his Ipswich Town card

An Ipswich Town season ticket holder and lifelong Suffolk resident is already back at work just nine weeks after pioneering new surgery removed a large brain tumour.

Road closure after a car accident.

A “worrying” number of people have lost their lives on Essex roads in 2016, a front-line roads policing sergeant has said.

Magistrates Court in Ipswich

A 65-year-old man has been charged with dangerous driving and failing to notify the authorities of a disability after a cyclist sustained life-threatening injuries in Ipswich.

An x-ray of a dog that swallowed part of a toy windwill

A Suffolk vet says he was presented with the strangest case of his career after a puppy bit off more than it could chew.

Hospital receptionist in court

An Ipswich Hospital receptionist is paying the price for her curiosity today after illegally accessing patients’ medical records landed her in court.

Fire (stock image)

A woman has been left homeless after a microwave fire in the kitchen of her first floor Essex flat.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue are attending reports of a fire in Stowmarket (stock image)

Three fire crews were called to reports of a blaze along a Suffolk railway embankment this morning.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24