Shoppers were forced to flee a Homebase store in Bury St Edmunds today following a major gas leak.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Two fire crews and engineers were called to the retail outlet in Easlea Road at just before 11am today after reports emerged that gas could be smelt inside the building.

National Grid experts traced the source of the leak using survey meters while firefighters organised the evacuation of the building. Fire crews also isolated the main gas supply.

A Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said a gas leak was also discovered in the Dunelm Mill store close to the Homebase outlet.

Both incidents had been brought under control by 12pm.

An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics were not called to the scene.

A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said the force was also not involved in the incident.

0 comments

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT