November 21 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, February 27, 2014
A 69-year-old man from Bury St Edmunds arrested as part of a national investigation into an alleged high-profile paedophile ring has been re-bailed.
The suspect was arrested in August last year and questioned by Metropolitan Police detectives on suspicion of historical allegations of sexual abuse.
He was detained as part of Operation Fairbank, a large-scale inquiry set up in the wake of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
The man was taken to a police investigation centre.
After being interviewed by detectives he was released until November, pending further enquiries.
When he answered by he was released again until February.
Having answered his bail for a second time he has now been re-bailed again until April, along with another man - a 65-year-old from Dorset.
A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said: “A 65-year-old man and a 69-year-old man have been re-bailed to return on a date in April, pending further inquiries .”
The men are understood he was arrested under a strand of Operation Fairbank, called Cayacos.
In June last year police said the enquiries made under Cayacos had reached the criminal threshold.
After the Suffolk suspect’s arrest, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “We can confirm that officers from Operation Fairbank have arrested a 69-year-old man in connection with historical allegations of sexual assault.
“The man was arrested at an address in Suffolk on August 20.”
Operation Fairbank was set up last autumn after Labour MP Tom Watson raised concerns in the House of Commons about VIP paedophiles with links to Government and the celebrity world.
Two linked major Met Police investigations –Fairbank and Fernbridge – are currently under way.
Operation Fernbridge began in January last year and is focusing on the Elm Guest House, south-west London, a gay brothel where it is alleged high-profile paedophiles preyed on young boys supplied from local care homes.