Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 14°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: Mixed reaction to decision to axe middle schools in town

09:13 12 June 2014

Best for Bury schools petiton handover at West Suffolk House. Left to right, Trevor Bluett, Kate McDonald, Ernie Broom, Bernadine Miller and Suzan Bluett.

Best for Bury schools petiton handover at West Suffolk House. Left to right, Trevor Bluett, Kate McDonald, Ernie Broom, Bernadine Miller and Suzan Bluett.

Archant

While many schools have welcomed the decision to change to a two-tier structure of education in the Bury St Edmunds area, others have expressed concerns over the impact of the move in the north and west parts of the town.

shares

On Tuesday Suffolk County Council’s cabinet confirmed the closure of four middle schools in the town – Howard, Hardwick, St James CEVA and St Louis Middle Schools – and extending the age ranges of most of the other schools. There will also be a new high school at Moreton Hall.

As the Bury St Edmunds Academy Trust schools – County Upper, Barrow CEVC Primary, Horringer Court Middle and Westley Middle – are outside of these plans, this structure will operate in the town alongside two tier.

Sue Herriott, chair of the Bury Schools Partnership which has supported the move to two tier, said many parents and teachers would be “relieved” the decision had finally been made.

“When we established this ground-breaking partnership of schools we said that we would focus on raising standards, increasing opportunities for children, and developing teaching quality – irrespective of what happened with two or three tier.

“This means that we are very well placed to work closely to ensure that during the coming two years, and in the future, children will have a really happy and successful time at our schools.”

The Bury Schools Partnership is made up of 18 schools in and around the town.

Ernie Broom, chairman of the Howard Estate Association of Residents and Tenants (HEART), said he was “very, very disappointed” with the decision. “It’s a very sad day for democracy because we were told at the very beginning of this consultation exercise they would listen to what the people wanted.”

There has been considerable opposition to the county council’s plans from those living on the Howard and Mildenhall Road estates, who said the changes will make it less straight forward for young people there to access education at their local upper school, County Upper School.

Councillor David Nettleton, who represents this area on the county council, said it was “important” for talks to continue with the academy trust to try and get a resolution for those in north and west parts of Bury.

Richard Fletcher, chairman of the academy trust board, said: “The local authority’s plans leave parents on the western side of Bury, not just those on the Howard estate, with no clear route to the trust schools they wish to use.

“However, the trust will work hard to explain to parents how their children can access the all-through schooling we provide and will plan to ensure that as many as possible can enjoy this from age four to 19.

“We remain open to working with the local authority and other schools in Bury St Edmunds to give true choice and diversity of provision.”

He said the cabinet decision created “a number of significant problems”, including excess school places.

Mr Nettleton also said the cabinet meeting had been conducted in a “chaotic way,” describing how this item on the agenda had to be deferred until after lunch because cabinet members had only been given the draft report.

The Best for Bury group, which has been campaigning for an 
“all-through system” across the town, said they wanted to review what had been decided due to the way the meeting had been conducted.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Firefighters have tackled a blaze in Saxon Road, Saxmundham

Fire crews have tackled a blaze at a house in Saxmundham which left the occupants temporarily homeless.

Hannah Witheridge, picture released by her family.

The family of a University of Essex student brutally killed in Thailand have travelled to the country for the trial of two men accused of murdering her.

UK Power Networks.

A fault on an underground electricity cable caused 404 homes to experience power cuts in Essex this evening.

Police investigating after a burglary.

More than one in 10 house burglaries in Essex are repeat raids on an already targeted home, new figures have revealed.

The travellers in Grange Farm, Kesgrave

A county councillor has said the provision for travellers in Suffolk is “100% untenable”.

Ambulance called to a crash in Essex.

A woman was freed from her car and taken to hospital after colliding with a lorry in Halstead.

A visualisation of the new high school at Moreton Hall.

Educationalists have welcomed the announcement that a west Suffolk-based trust has been put forward to sponsor a new high school in Bury St Edmunds.

Police investigate the scene of an accident on the corner of Prospect Road and Bramford Road.

A young child is being treated for suspected head injuries after colliding with a car in Ipswich.

Brown bins are used for garden waste, but there could soon be a charge

Hundreds of thousands of Suffolk households could have to pay £50 a year if they want to continue to recycle their garden waste through the brown bin scheme.

Dancers Crystal Main and Bruce Lait

Professional dancer Crystal Main said her passion for her art has helped her to overcome the psychological trauma of 7/7.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages