Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 10°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: Police believe local man working alone is behind a spate of walk-in burglaries

18:11 25 July 2014

A local thief acting alone is believed to be behind a wave of walk-in burglaries in Bury St Edmunds after another spate of incidents.

shares

A total of 13 properties in the town have now fallen victim to the culprit, who has repeatedly gained entry via doors and windows left open in the hot weather.

Detective Inspector Nick Power, who is leading the investigation, said patrols had been stepped up around the Howard and Priors estates in a bid to catch the burglar red-handed.

“Forensically we haven’t got much to go on, so we have to get people onto the street and catch them in the act,” said DI Power.

“I would say because of the geographical area where this is being committed, you need to know the rat runs and what have you, the alleyways, to get from one place to another without being seen by police officers.

“Having spoken to lots of criminals over the years, these types of individuals, the more people that are involved, there’s more chance you’re going to get loose lips.

“A lot of these offenders like to work by themselves - they commit the offence, and they don’t share that information with anybody.”

The latest burglaries took place overnight between Wednesday and Thursday.

In Westley Road, entry was gained to a house via an insecure window or door and a wallet was stolen from a bag in the hallway.

The second burglary occurred in Minden Drive, where a house was entered via an insecure rear patio door and a wallet was stolen along with more than £1,000 in cash.

All 13 incidents have happened within the past month, with items stolen including games consoles as well as handbags, wallets and cash.

While DI Power said patrols had been increased, it was “a massive area geographically” to try and police, and he called on the town’s criminal fraternity to report anyone who had recently become “flush with money”.

Despite issuing numerous warnings, police patrols are still continuing to find properties with insecure doors and windows.

He added: “We all get complacent. Unfortunately, we’re going to have a hot weekend this weekend, people are going to have a few shandies and it’s ‘right, lets got to bed’, and people forget about it.

“Last thing at night or early in the evening, don’t leave any window or door insecure.”

Anyone with information about these burglaries is asked to contact the Bury St Edmunds Priority Crime Team on 101 quoting reference BU/14/1822, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Andy Lucas and Sid Lucas, 12, brought their 1914 Ford Model T to the seafront in Felixstowe after the Ipswich to Felixstowe Historic Vehicle Run on Sunday, May 3.

After a damp morning, warm spring sunshine arrived just in time as thousands of people packed the prom at Felixstowe to see one of the resort’s best-loved annual attractions.

Pupils at the Meadows Montessori Primary School in Ipswich take part in the lessons.

There’s no shortage of Montessori pre-schools across the UK but studies show the approach has much to offer older pupils too.

Manhunt underway in Essex after father abducts his son from foster carers in Great Notley

A massive manhunt is under way after a father abducted his three-year-old son from foster parents.

Coastguard

Coastguard teams in Suffolk have attended a number of incidents today (Sunday).

Fire crews tackle a blaze in a flat above a shop in Walton-on-the-Naze's High Street

Dramatic pictures of a fire which engulfed a flat in Walton-on-the-Naze town centre have been released by Essex Fire and Rescue Service.

Davina McCall on The Jump

There is still time to put in a last minute bid for a host of exclusive ‘money can’t buy’ items, which are up for grabs in an online charity auction.

A car has overturned into a ditch off the A137 close to Jimmy’s Farm on the outskirts of Ipswich.

John Appleton, aged seven, with the postman from Benhall Green, Ted Ayden

‘Us youngsters did not realize at the time but we were living through a part of history that changed the world forever. I often wonder how today’s youngsters would cope...’ John Appleton tells Steven Russell about being a boy during wartime

Police are investigating a burglary at the Little Chef at the A14 / A140 junction.

An investigation is underway after two roadside cafes in Suffolk were targeted by burglars in the early hours of this morning.

Town crier Tony Appleton proclaims the birth of the second child to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, outside the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, west London.

Essex town crier Tony Appleton, who announced the birth of the new princess, said he was told the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would be “touched” when he asked if could make the proclamation.

Most read

Topic pages