max temp: 12°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Bury St Edmunds: Public inquiry gets under way at the Apex into future growth of area

13:05 28 January 2014

An ariel view of Bury St Edmunds. Taken by Mike Page in 2012.

An ariel view of Bury St Edmunds. Taken by Mike Page in 2012.

© Mike Page all rights reserved. Before any use is made of this image including display, publication, broadcast, syndication or

A Government inspector has today begun a public inquiry into plans for future development in Bury St Edmunds which lay down the blueprint for about 6,000 new homes.


Roger Clews has been appointed by the Secretary of State as independent planning inspector to take charge of the examination of St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s Vision 2031 documents.

The documents, which were compiled through three years of public consultation, detail specific sites which have been allocated for housing developments.

The inspector will be examining whether the documents - for Bury, Haverhill and the rural areas - are legally compliant and sound (fit for purpose).

At the start of the inquiry at the Apex in Bury Ian Poole, lead officer for the preparation of the Vision 2031 documents, gave an opening statement on behalf of the borough council.

He said the amount of growth was already fixed by the Core Strategy, and “still holds good today”.

“However, as you will have seen from representations submitted against Vision 2031, there remains a view by some that the planned growth is too much despite the population continuing to grow.

“We believe that policies in the Core Strategy hold good and are National Planning Policy Framework compliant. They are not up for review in this

examination but they have provided the context for the detailed policies in the Vision documents before you.”

He said the council considered the documents were sound, but there would be groups or individuals represented at the sessions who would probably disagree.

He added: “The divergent views that you will hear demonstrate amply that it is simply not possible to agree with everyone or that many of the strategic decisions have already been made.

“Ultimately the council has to make a judgement on those issues where the consultation responses are irreconcilable.”

Tomorrow will look at issues including whether the development proposals for Bury are based on a sound analysis of the traffic consequences and will also focus on the five key sites around the town which have been allocated for housing.

Thursday will deal with matters including whether there should be any development at all on land west of Bury’s Rougham Road, known as the Leg of Mutton.

Both of the sessions tomorrow and on Thursday will take place at the Apex in Bury.

The hearings are open to the public, but they will not be able to take an active part unless the inspector has previously invited them to do so.



Grimwade street fire. Ipswich

Firefighters saved the life of a man when they rescued him from a Ipswich house blaze without wearing breathing apparatus.

Official opening of Chantry Academy. Head boy and girl, left to right, Ligita Lazdauskaite and Joshua Clarke.

Chantry Academy in Ipswich celebrated the grand opening of its new school building on Friday, as the school marks a “fresh start” from a difficult year.

The crash happened in High Street, Newmarket.

A man aged in his early 20s has been taken to hospital after the motorbike he was riding collided with a car in Newmarket.

Stock picture of a burglary.

Offenders forced open the front window in the living room of a property in a Suffolk village during a burglary.

Sergeant Ash Jackobs (31) from Felixstowe during 

Chefs from Colchester-based 16 Air Assault Brigade have been wild cooking to prepare for operations in tough environments.

Suffolk County Council's cabinet arrived at Elstree today - the home of the Star Wars franchise.

The day after county councillors discussed cutting millions from the authority’s budget over the next two years, its cabinet members are on a £4,000 training course at the world famous Elstree studios.

Nick Alexander, who died in the Bataclan massacre, in Paris, France. Photo: Foreign & Commonwealth Office/PA Wire.

The parents of Essex man Nick Alexander, killed in the Paris terror attacks two weeks’ ago, have released a statement ahead of a memorial service taking place in the French capital today.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24