Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

Outline approval agreed for 130 homes in Chilton Woods

PUBLISHED: 17:48 13 June 2018 | UPDATED: 17:48 13 June 2018

Part fo the site that was earmarked for the new Chilton Woods development near Sudbury Picture: EMMA BRENNAN

Part fo the site that was earmarked for the new Chilton Woods development near Sudbury Picture: EMMA BRENNAN

Archant

Controversial plans to build 130 homes on land by Chilton Woods near Sudbury have been approved – despite existing approvals already exceeding the number laid out in the masterplan.

Planning permission has already been granted to Suffolk County Council to build up to 1,150 homes – 100 more than the masterplan for the site laid out.

The latest application, submitted by Catesby Estates Ltd, was outline planning for up to 130 homes.

The matter was due to be heard last month, but a late legal representation of alleged policy breaches was submitted, causing the matter to be deferred.

During Monday afternoon’s Babergh planning committee, members voted 10-4 in favour of allowing planners to approve the outline plans once the necessary contributions for highways, schools and other services had been agreed.

Edward Barrett from Catesby said that significant amendments had been made following feedback from consultees, and said there was “not a wave of objections that would make us think this is not an acceptable proposal.”

Mr Barrett said that attempts were made to engage the parish council in discussions, as well as having written to all residents, but parish councillors who made representations against the plan said that no approach had been made and some homes did not receive letters.

The parish council also expressed disappointment that requests to extend the three minute speaking period were denied.

Planning officers said that the council could not demonstrate a sufficient five-year housing supply, and that the benefits of the scheme outweighed the harm to nearby heritage assets.

Differing views were also voiced by those making representations and committee members as to whether the proposed access road from Waldingfield Road was a dangerous route.

Frank Lawrenson, Conservative councillor for the Waldingfield ward spoke against the application, and said that the planning policy in the local plan for the site to have 1,050 homes was “consulted so heavily and now we want to go back on that. I don’t believe that’s right.”

The county council is working to identify developers who can deliver its portion of the Chilton Woods development.

A prescription delivery driver will appear at Colchester Magistrates’ Court today charged with alleged sexual offences against someone on his round.

A disqualified motorist who was driving without insurance tried to avoid police when he saw a marked force car coming towards him.

A man will appear in Colchester Magistrates’ Court this morning charged with several sexual offences.

A motorcyclist has been taken to hospital after coming into collision with a camper van during the morning rush hour.

The staff and residents at a Felixstowe nursing home have been left in limbo after the company suddenly went into liquidation.

It’s been a rather chilly night across Suffolk and north-Essex with temperatures hovering just above freezing in the twilight hours but what can we expect going forward?

An Essex village church will be ablaze with colour at the weekend as it welcome visitors to its flower festival.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24