Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 1°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Chelmsford: Tulisa denies assault at V Festival and claimed celebrity blogger carrying out a vendetta, court told

16:41 20 May 2014

Singer Tulisa Contostavlos,25, arrives at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court. Photo PA

Singer Tulisa Contostavlos,25, arrives at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court. Photo PA

Singer Tulisa Contostavlos told police allegations that she assaulted a celebrity blogger at Chelmsford’s V Festival are part of a vendetta against her.

Celebrity writer Savvas Morgan said he suffered swelling to the eye after the alleged incident involving the N-Dubz star and former X-Factor judge last year.

Contostavlos, of Friern Barnet, north London, has denied an assault charge linked to the alleged altercation last August.

The 25-year-old is on trial at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court with her assistant Gareth Varey also of Friern Barnet, who is accused of threatening behaviour, which he denies.

In a police statement read to the court today, she said Mr Morgan had previously made “unfounded and vicious” allegations against both her and Varey.

The star added Mr Morgan’s “considerable ill-feeling and resentment” stemmed from an incident at the Whisky Mist nightclub in Mayfair, London, when she asked security to request Mr Morgan to leave after he attempted to join her in a VIP area.

Referring to the alleged assault backstage at V Festival, Contostavlos added: “At no point was I threatening or abusive towards him.

“In fact I had my hands behind my back as I knew he was capable of inventing assault claims as he had done against Gareth in the past.”

She said she saw Mr Morgan being restrained and struggling and feared he may attack her.

Detective Sergeant Amanda White told the court stars who witnessed the incident, including singer and rapper Misha B, Sugababes singer Mutya Buena, singer Alexandra Burke and rapper Wretch 32, had all been asked to give police statements through their representatives. No statements were forthcoming.

Ask by her barrister Jeremy Dein QC if she assaulted Mr Morgan Contostavlos said: “Most definitely not.”

Mr Dein asked about a sex tape of Contostavlos which was leaked to the press.

She said she found out Mr Morgan may have been involved in this.

She added: “I couldn’t confirm at the time that he was involved because I didn’t know at the time the tape existed.

“Once I knew, a couple of details made me believe he was involved a lot more than he made out.”

Describing the publication of the sex tape, she went on: “I was horrified - it was one of the worst times of my life.

“An ex-boyfriend had taken what was supposed to be private footage of us and many years later tried to sell it and put it online.”

She said she held no grudge against Mr Morgan: “There were many people involved.”

In his police statement, Varey, 28, said neither he nor Contostavlos had attacked Morgan.

Yesterday Mr Morgan told District Judge Angus Hamilton that Contostavlos raised her fists in the air and was swinging her arms.

Prosecutor Matthew McNiff said the incident happened at 12.30am on August 18 as Mr Morgan was about to leave. He said Contostavlos accused Mr Morgan of stalking her, and swore at him.

The trial continues

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Digby Chacksfield , CEO of The Eastern Enterprise Hub in the James Heir  building at UCS.

The Eastern Enterprise Hub is launching a pilot scheme in Colchester to help budding entrepreneurs launch health and social care projects.

Waveney MP Peter Aldous.
February 2014.

Picture: James Bass

Judges forcing violent fathers who have shown no remorse to attend “Caring Dads Programme” are making the sessions hard to run, an MP has said.

South Cambridgeshire MP Heidi Allen

A Conservative MP will fight to be the mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough in elections due to be held next year.

Richard Rous is included in Who's Who? for the first time.

East Anglians are among the 930 new names in the 2017 edition of Who’s Who, which will be published on Monday.

Ipswich Crown Court.

An Ipswich shopkeeper who sold “legal highs” with labelling which failed to give customers information about the use and risks of taking them has been given a community order.

Where will Santa be this week? See our route guide

This week the Bury St Edmunds Round Table will be touring the town with their Santa sleigh, spreading Christmas cheer to children and grown ups.

Gemma Biran's entry depicting the month of March in the Kesgrave Photography Competition

Inspired snappers in Kesgrave enjoyed the summer sun and braved the wintry weather to share their stills in the latest Kesgrave Photography Competition.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24