Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Clacton: Initiative to tackle long-term unemployment backed by MP Douglas Carswell

PUBLISHED: 22:10 23 February 2014 | UPDATED: 22:10 23 February 2014

Archant

Clacton has been named as one of only six areas in the UK being targeted in a new government scheme aimed at overhauling entrenched benefits cultures.

The bid to banish the town’s reputation as one of the country’s benefits capitals comes after a damning report found that more than half of working age people in the heart of Clacton rely on out-of-work benefits for their income.

Last night, Douglas Carswell, MP for Clacton, pledged his full support to the initiative, admitting action was required after the “depressing” report revealed some “uncomfortable truths”.

However he criticised senior government figures who condemn jobseekers as “scroungers”, attacking their belief that a carrot-and-stick approach is the only way to get people back in to work.

The scheme will see staff at Clacton’s Jobcentre Plus centre trained to tackle the causes of long-term unemployment and engage with benefit claimants to help them overcome the “barriers that are holding them back” to lead better lives.

The Centre for Social Justice report said last year that 54% of 16 to 64-year-olds in the Pier Ward of the town receive unemployment benefits – the fifth highest rate in the country.

The Department for Work and Pensions pilot will focus on people in the Pier and Alton Park wards of the town who have been claiming working-age benefits for at least three of the last four years.

Mr Carswell said: “The report was a very bad day for Clacton. I felt really depressed when I read it. It highlighted some uncomfortable truths.

“Coastal communities have a very difficult and specific range of problems and for seaside towns like Clacton there are pockets of high unemployment. But the only way to change things is to acknowledge the truth and I now feel positive the report has led to some action.

“I dislike it when the Government gets on its high horse and talks about scroungers and using a carrot-and-stick approach.

“In my experience, people get caught in a trap and stuck in a rut and it is really tough. A young man came to see me two weeks ago who had not worked for three years. I took him through the various stages and he secured a job interview.

“There are good people out there, like him, doing all the right things to get back in to work. They need that extra special helping hand. This pilot is exactly what we need.”

Lauren Kilbey, project manager at Clacton’s Jobcentre Plus, said she hopes the lives of around 120 people claiming benefits will be turned around this year.

“It is about getting people to take more responsibility and helping them to overcome the barriers that are holding them back for leading happier, healthier and more resilient lives,” she said.

Mick Page, leader of Tendring District Council (TDC) , said staff will receive “valuable customer insight”.

“This is a very important project which will help those where all other routes have failed,” he said. “TDC is pleased to support this very worthwhile scheme.”

The pilot will launch at TDC’s Weeley Council Chamber on March 19.

1 comment

  • put the retirement age back to 65 is one of the things that wants doing.

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Monday, February 24, 2014

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24