Clacton: Rugby club remains ‘buoyant’ after two fires in three days
PUBLISHED: 10:02 03 September 2014 | UPDATED: 13:15 03 September 2014
A rugby club in Essex was ablaze last night just three days after a fire destroyed its playing equipment.
Firefighters were called to Clacton Rugby Club in Valleybridge Road shortly after 12 midnight after being inundated by calls from the public.
Two crews from Clacton and one from Weeley had the fire out by shortly after 1.10am.
The blaze happened on the same spot as a fire which started overnight on Sunday, destroying a container with much of the club’s equipment inside.
The latest fire caused minimal damage, and the clubhouse is unaffected.
Colin Garrod, the club’s fixture secretary, thanked other teams in the area for responding to a plea to borrow equipment in the short-term.
The first game of the season takes place next Saturday, but all of the post protectors, flags and training kit such as tackle bags have been destroyed.
Although insurers should replace the lost equipment, the club needs some in the short term to cover early matches.
Mr Garrod said: “After the first fire we put out an appeal and we have had quite a few offers of help from local colleagues.
“We have lost all of the playing equipment, and things like marquees and the beach rugby kit we use over the summer too.
“We are insured but it needs replacing quickly. As luck would have it we had a friendly last weekend and have a rest weekend coming up.
“But we are going to be OK.
“However being targeted twice is worrying. It is quite a concern as to why, or who and to what purpose this is happening.
“I don’t know why, it does not make sense and I really don’t understand.
“Like most sports clubs we are in the middle of a field, it is quite a nice place I suppose for people who have nothing better to do so perhaps it is random.
“It has not put a dampener on us, the players and coaches are quite buoyant.”
A spokesman for Essex Police confirmed the force was investigating the blaze and asked anyone with information to call 101.