Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Clacton: Search for Ronald King called off after body found

PUBLISHED: 21:58 22 May 2014

Ronald King

Ronald King

Archant

Police have called off a search for a missing man after a body was found in the sea near Clacton today.

Officers believe that the man found at Holland Haven is Ronald King, 63, who had not been seen since Friday, May 16.

Relatives of Mr King have been informed and formal identification is still to take place.

Police were due to carry out a new search of beaches near Holland Haven after a media appeal led to information that Mr King had launched his small inflatable dinghy from Clacton beach at about 9.45pm on Friday.

Mr King told staff at the Travelodge hotel in Jackson Road, where he lives permanently, that he was going out in his boat.

He was reported missing on Monday by hotel staff after he did not return. He also failed to attend church on Sunday.

A local yachtsman who also read the police appeal for information came forward and reported finding the dinghy several miles offshore on Saturday morning.

The police helicopter carried out a search of the coastline, but could not find a trace of Mr King or his dinghy.

Police also checked the places Mr King liked to visit, but did not hear of any sightings of him.

Police and coastguards calculated tide times and wind directions to narrow the search to the Holland Haven area.

A search of the area was being planned when a woman walking near the Haven saw the body at about 9.30am today.

Detective Inspector Russ Cole, who was leading the search said: “Sadly we believe the body found today is Mr King and we are still awaiting formal identification.

“We would like to thank the media for their considerable assistance in this search.

“As a result of the appeal for help two members of the public came forward with information that helped us to establish what happened to Mr King and where he might be.

“There are no suspicious circumstances and a report is now being prepared for the Coroner.”

A 50-year-old man from Cambridgeshire who was arrested after a fatal crash on the A140 on Tuesday will appear in court tomorrow to face dangerous driving charges.

Emergency services including firefighters, police and paramedics are at the scene of a serious crash in Lowestoft.

An Essex father who threw a corrosive liquid at a teenager outside a popular restaurant in Walton-on-the-Naze will now face years behind bars.

A jealous Suffolk man who fired a BB gun at a car after finding text messages from the vehicle’s owner on his partner’s phone has been jailed for ten months.

A group of men from London are facing drugs charges and money laundering offences after a police chase on the A14 at the weekend.

A former geography teacher from Essex says that schoolchildren should be taught more about what to do if a natural disaster occurs after getting caught up in the earthquake which hit Kos last week.

Drivers heading home from work in west Suffolk this evening could face long delays on the A11 after a lorry tipped over on the southbound carriageway near Barton Mills.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24