Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 1°C

min temp: -0°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Colchester: 40 soldiers rehoused after blaze in accommodation block at Merville Barracks

17:14 18 March 2014

Damage to an accommodation block at Merville Barracks, Colchester.

Damage to an accommodation block at Merville Barracks, Colchester.

Crown Copyright 2014: This image may be used for current news purposes only.

More than 40 soldiers have had to be rehoused at Colchester Garrison after a blaze in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters were called to an accommodation block at Merville Barracks in Roman Road just after 2.30am and found the third floor of the building was heavily smoke-logged.

Crews from Colchester, Mersea and Tiptree and the aerial ladder platform were scrambled to the scene and found the Army had already evacuated dozens of people.

Station officer Pete Donovan, from Colchester fire station, said: “When crews arrived approximately 50 people had already been evacuated to safety by the Army.

“Several neighbouring accommodation blocks had also been evacuated as a precaution.

“The fire was on the third floor of the block and had started in a bathroom and it had spread into the corridor of the accommodation wing.

“The crews efforts contained the fire to the top floor and prevented the fire from spreading throughout the building.”

The flames were brought under control through firefighters using two hose reels and one main jet by 5.40am.

The second floor was ventilated of smoke while the aerial ladder platform and a thermal image camera were used to check if the fire had spread into the loft area.

A Colchester Garrison spokesman said around 40 soldiers’ living quarters had been affected but that they were already in alternative accommodation within the camp.

He added: “Evacuation procedures had been correctly followed and all personnel were safely out of the building and neighbouring blocks before fire crews arrived. No-one was injured.

“The building suffered extensive water and smoke damage and alternative accommodation will be provided for the soldiers while the building is repaired.

“The cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical fault and an investigation is being carried out by Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation and Essex Country Fire and Rescue Service.”

0 comments

Knives collected from the Bin a Blade amnesty bins.

The number of people caught carrying a bladed weapon in Suffolk has risen to its highest level for six years.

Police sealed off Stone Street in Crowfield during the incident.

A 42-year-old man arrested following a two-day stand-off with police has been released on bail and will be taken into the care of health professionals.

The sunrise over Borley Green. Picture: Pamela Bidwell

The morning skies have been putting on a striking show of colour and light over Suffolk this week.

Crash at Barrack Corner in Ipswich.

A seven-year-old girl was taken to hospital after the car she was travelling in came off the road and hit a wall.

The fire was caused by the sun's reflection in a bedroom mirror. Picture: Richard Wisbey.

An Essex couple have been left homeless after their house caught fire as a result of the sun’s reflection in a mirror.

Bridget Muttock and manager Alison Fallowfield, seated, with some of the home’s other long serving staff.

Carer Bridget Muttock has some heartfelt advice for anyone contemplating retirement in their 60s – don’t do it.

West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds. Photograph: Simon Parker.

The hip fracture care at West Suffolk Hospital has been named as the best in East Anglia and the sixth best in the country.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24