Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 12°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Darmsden: Majority of homes reconnected after long wait for phone and broadband services following lightning strike

06:00 04 August 2014

Residents in Darmsden had to put up with internet and phone line problems for weeks. Photo: Paul Faith/PA Wire

Residents in Darmsden had to put up with internet and phone line problems for weeks. Photo: Paul Faith/PA Wire

BT has apologised after residents of a rural village were left without broadband and phone services for almost three weeks.

shares

On the weekend of July 12-13 storms took hold of much of Suffolk but a lighting strike in the small village of Darmsden, near Needham Market, caused major problems for residents’ communications.

The damage meant five 60metre lengths of overhead cabling needed replacing as well as excavations to get to broken underground cabling.

Teacher Mike Hardman, 57, said the response by BT had been “disgraceful”. He added: “It’s not been good; I had someone ringing me up about compensation but I said I rather want my telephone line back. We phoned BT three times but didn’t hear anything; it’s not been good enough – it’s been quite a disgrace really.

“I’ve been trying to do work preparing for next term and I need the internet. They kept saying that they are working on it but I did not see anyone.”

A BT spokesman said the majority of homes had been reconnected but there were still reported faults remaining to be fixed.

“A lightning strike caused a significant amount of damage to cabling in the area which has affected some services, requiring extensive engineering works to clear,” he said.

“Lightning strike damage can be particularly difficult to resolve quickly as the damage often follows no logical pattern. Engineers have been working as quickly as possible to replace five 60metre spans of overhead cabling and also carry out excavations to locate damage and replace 10 metres of underground cable. All this cabling work has now been completed.

“We had around 20 reported faults from people affected by this incident. We have now restored services to all but three residual faults. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience whilst this repair work has been progressing.”

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

An artist's impression of the new heritage centre.

A proposal to develop a new £17m heritage centre to hold most of Suffolk’s Records at Ipswich’s UCS campus is expected to be endorsed by the county’s cabinet next week.

A double lightining strike has hit and destroyed a house. Darren Hobson surveys the damage. Picture: Stephen Huntley.

A hero father-of-six who led his family to safety following a lightning strike to his home has praised his neighbours’ support.

Stuart Cullen, from the Lowestoft area, who died in the terrorist attack in Tunisia.

The family of a man who died in the Tunisian massacre have paid tribute to their “third musketeer”.

Joy Poppy, aged 82, who died following a collision in Woodbridge on July 1

Mrs Poppy died after a collision in New Street, Woodbridge, on Wednesday.

Libby Brown headteacher at Kyson Primary, Woodbridge.

A board of school governors has launched a fierce attack on Suffolk County Council after their headteacher had to stop work for seven weeks.

BBC Radio Suffolk's Mark Murphy with one of the Scamnesty bids

A Suffolk Trading Standards Scamnesty campaign is using special bins across the county in a bid to snare unscrupulous conmen.

Cedar House, Pytches Road, Melton - set to have ten new homes in its grounds.

Developers who have bought a prime site on the edge of Woodbridge from the district council expect to submit proposals to create new homes next month.

Beach patrol rescue spaniels from Clacton beach.
Owner and her dogs.

A beach patrol team at Clacton swung into action to rescue two dogs yesterday evening.

Police in Ipswich are investigating a number of incidents where eggs were thrown at people and buildings in the town.

Culford Girls under 18 Hockey Team January 1990

Were you a member of the Culford girls under 18 hockey team in January 1990. Were you in the squad photographed here?

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages