Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

‘Don’t put lives at risk’, say objectors over traffic fears from West Suffolk operational hub

PUBLISHED: 17:09 21 April 2017 | UPDATED: 18:04 21 April 2017

The planned future site of the West Suffolk Operational Hub, pictured from Fornham Road, where the entrance will be. Picture: CHRIS SHIMWELL

The planned future site of the West Suffolk Operational Hub, pictured from Fornham Road, where the entrance will be. Picture: CHRIS SHIMWELL

Archant

Outraged residents claim those backing plans for a new waste hub on the outskirts of Bury St Edmunds would be blamed if increased traffic on surrounding roads caused a tragic accident.

The proposed layout of the new West Suffolk Operational Hub. Picture: WEST SUFFOLK COUNCILS The proposed layout of the new West Suffolk Operational Hub. Picture: WEST SUFFOLK COUNCILS

Impassioned villagers from Fornham St Martin, Fornham All Saints, Fornham St Genevieve and Great Barton objected at a parish council meeting on Thursday to plans by West Suffolk’s councils for the £20m hub off Fornham Road at Hollow Road Farm.

They say the extra traffic coming onto the nearby A134 roundabout could have fatal consequences and urged borough councillors on the development control committee to take heed.

Fornham St Martin’s chairman Mike Collier said: “Do these councillors want to put their names to something that leads to people being killed and maimed?”

One of those present for the Fornham St Martin cum St Genevieve Parish Council meeting was Howard Quayle, chairman of Fornham All Saints.

He also insisted pressure needed to be put on the borough council’s development control committee, who will make a final decision on the planning application this year.

He claimed the group should be “confronted and told about the prospect of a 40-footer coming out of Fornham Road at 2mph at the end of a 70mph dual carriageway”.

At the meeting’s opening, Mr Collier said he and others had been upset to read in this newspaper comments from Bury’s town council, which raised no objection to the scheme. He said traffic remained a huge issue, with 1,750 extra vehicle movements planned per day once the site is operational, on top of additional planned housing.

“Speaking as a private individual and not as chairman I believe for planners to ignore the serious potential risks on this area with an extra 1,700 vehicle movements a day... on a junction that has had at least four accidents in the last year is nothing short of disgraceful,” he said. A borough spokesman said: “A planning application is now out to consultation and any representations for or against should be made in response to this application.”

Former Ipswich Town and England captain Terry Butcher has spoken of his anguish following the inquest of his son Christopher, who died last year.

Essex police are appealing for witnesses after 16 beehives were stolen from Braintree.

Ipswich Town FC have kicked off Dementia Action Week with an big afternoon tea party at Portman Road - with a special visit from a few Town legends.

Dramatic cuts have enabled health services in Suffolk and north-east Essex to slice their deficit by even more than planned – but there’s still a long way to go to break even.

Easton Farm Park is celebrating the arrival of a new Suffolk Punch foal – which has now been officially named Harry after the newlywed Prince.

Critically ill patients in Suffolk are waiting too long for an ambulance despite new measures being introduced to tackle delays, figures reveal.

The project is part of the preparations for the creation of a new viewing tower over the Anglo-Saxon site, part of a bold and ambitious £4million lottery-backed scheme called Releasing the Sutton Hoo Story aimed at transform the experience for visitors.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24