Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

East Bergholt Parish Council is asking for a judge to review legality of 144 home planning application

PUBLISHED: 12:00 23 April 2016

East Bergholt residents Peter Dent and Paul Ireland along with Rolf Althen, Tony Brigden, Martin Cave, Barry Davison and Joyce Baker are unhappy about the proposed plans to build 144 new homes on an empty plot of land.

East Bergholt residents Peter Dent and Paul Ireland along with Rolf Althen, Tony Brigden, Martin Cave, Barry Davison and Joyce Baker are unhappy about the proposed plans to build 144 new homes on an empty plot of land.

A parish council in the heart of Constable Country which disagreed with a planning decision made by Babergh District Council is asking for a judge to intervene.

Permission was granted for 144 homes to be built on land next to Moores Lane in East Bergholt last month by the district council’s planning committee despite opposition from within the community.

Both East Bergholt Parish Council and the Action East Bergholt (AEB) group opposed the plans, together with local residents.

Since the permission was granted those against the plans attempted to get the decision ‘called in’ and decided by central government.

When that did not happen it was decided to ask for a judicial review.

This is a type of court proceeding in which a judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made by a public body.

A short statement on the website of East Bergholt Parish Council said: “After careful consideration the parish council has decided to take the planning applications on Moores Lane and Hadleigh Road to judicial review.

“Babergh’s unwillingness to listen to the views of the people of East Bergholt left us with no alternative.”

A judicial review does not look at whether the decision reached was right or wrong, just whether the process used in making that decision followed the correct procedures.

If it is found the decision was not reached lawfully the ruling could be declared invalid.

A spokesman for Babergh District Council said it was unable to comment on the issue because it had not received notification of any legal proceedings relating to East Bergholt.

Speaking at the start of April Peter Dent, chairman of AEB, said it was the scale of the development which had angered villagers.

“I think it’s important to remember there’s no-one in the village who’s against development,” he said earlier this month. “It’s absolutely clear everyone fully accepts development has to happen. All we’re saying is not 144 homes.”

There is also a feeling the development would spoil the landscape immortalised in the paintings of John Constable, born in the village.

“I think Constable and what it stands for is fairly precious to the majority of people in East Bergholt,” Mr Dent had said.

3 comments

  • It's a case of not in my back yard how many of these so called representatives of the people live in the villages that they are turning into building sites ? None I think ,take a look at Great Blakenham over 600 houses approved after the village people said they did not want them, and who for ? Not local people for sure, and did we not vote no to the two councils joining up but again they over road this ,

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Sunday, April 24, 2016

  • I wish you every success with your Judicial review it is about time the planning depts at Babergh and Mid Suffolk [run by the same people] are given a shake up, they need to listen to the electorate that employ them!!

    Report this comment

    TREBOR60

    Saturday, April 23, 2016

  • would you rather have a mosque?hope it is spelt right

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Saturday, April 23, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Suffolk Show organisers have reassured the public they are “very well prepared” for next week’s two-day showpiece following last night’s terror attack in Manchester.

Ed Sheeran fans have flocked to one particular Framlingham charity shop after the Suffolk star’s mum released an Ed inspired jewellery collection.

A 37-year-old man from Colchester has been jailed for 27 months after knocking a stranger unconscious in a southern fried chicken shop.

Garden centre staff handed over an £800 cheque to a lifesaving charity.

Organisations from across Suffolk have shown support for the people of Manchester after Monday night’s atrocity at the Arena concert.

An Ipswich man who drove along the A120 in Essex while more than twice the drink-drive limit had been out wetting his baby’s head, a court heard.

Suffolk police are taking part in a pre-planned terrorist training exercise today just hours after a suicide bomber killed more than 20 people, including children, and injured nearly 60 others in Manchester.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24