Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 17°C

ESTD 1874 Search

East Anglia: Ambulance service concerns continue with new figures showing failings could have contributed to 60 deaths

18:10 07 January 2014

Ambulances

Ambulances

Archant 2013

Ambulance service failings may have contributed to almost 60 deaths in the region in the last three and a half years, according to new figures.

A total of 155 serious incidents have been logged at the NHS trust since April 2010, of which 59 relate to unexpected or avoidable deaths .

The figures show there were 25 serious incidents (SI) across the East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) area between April and December last year.

The figures also show there were 27 SIs across the six counties in 2010/11, of which 15 related to the deaths of patients.

During the 2011/12 financial year, the number of SIs jumped to 51, with 17 relating to the deaths of patients, and there were 52 serious incidents in 2012/13, of which 18 related to patient deaths.

Anthony Marsh, chief executive of the West Midlands Ambulance Service, started his role as part-time CEO of EEAST last week.

His first day involved meeting and greeting staff in Ipswich, Norwich and Peterborough.

Denise Burke, from the Act on Ambulances campaign, said the figures were “worrying” and highlighted the need for more front-line staff.

Commenting on the number of SIs, an EEAST spokesman said: “It is important to note that in these cases, patients already had a serious clinical condition and have passed away as a result of deterioration of this condition.

“In the majority of instances the death has occurred in an acute setting after conveyance and handover to hospital, in a number of instances days later. It is not possible to determine whether different actions of the trust would have prevented the death of the patient.”

0 comments

Corrie McKeague

RAF personnel have joined the search for a missing Honington serviceman who has not been seen since the early hours of Saturday.

Former Royal Household official Ronald Harper arrives at Southwark Crown Court, London. Photo Philip Toscano/PA Wire

A former Royal Household official from Suffolk who accepted more than £100,000 in bribes to award contracts for work at royal residences including Buckingham Palace has today been jailed for five years.

Daphne Rose, Doug Stewart and Rob Rose.

A trio of older motorists from Suffolk have proved it is never too late to become a better driver – and urged other road users to follow in their tracks.

Cycling on Felixstowe prom is to be made legal in a year-long trial.

Community leaders say the year-long trial to allow cycling on Felixstowe’s promenade has not yet started – and people riding their bikes are breaking the law.

Ipswich Crown Court

A barman at a party at a Suffolk riding stables sexually assaulted two schoolgirls, it has been alleged.

Three generations: June Jones, son Nicholas and daughter Julia, and Edith Maud and Jack Jones, at Christmas, 1958

My view, for what it’s worth, is that the Government should issue Julia Jones’s book to every household, so we all learn to understand dementia – the frustration, the exhaustion, the bewilderment and, yes, the tender moments to treasure, writes Steven Russell.

A variety of the drug

A teenager was put on life support in hospital after suffering a severe reaction to a legal high known as ‘spice’.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24