Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Essex: 500 flood and weather-related incidents reported in south of county in just 24 hours

PUBLISHED: 06:46 21 July 2014 | UPDATED: 06:46 21 July 2014

Flooding scenes at the weekend

Flooding scenes at the weekend

Firefighters in Essex dealt with hundreds of flood and weather-related incidents yesterday, making the county one of the worst affected areas in the country.

About 500 incidents were reported to the service from 3pm yesterday, the majority of which were in the south of the county.

More than 400 incidents took place in Canvey Island and at the height of activity, there were seven pumping appliances on the island.

Other areas hit by flooding included Wickford, Waltham Abbey and Rayleigh.

Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Paul Hill, said: “The first calls came in at around 3pm yesterday afternoon and it wasn’t until 3.30am that we were able to scale back to normal service on Canvey.

“During that time we dealt with floods, structures struck by lightning and a couple of structure collapses. Our approach to get through such an unprecedented level of calls was to deal with all life risk as priority and then we sent officers and appliances with lists of addresses to make sure there was no life risk at those calls where none had been reported just to make sure that residents were safe.

“There was some frustration that with such widespread flooding, our crews were unable to pump out properties because there was just nowhere to pump the water away but we are comfortable that we did everything we could to make sure people were and remained safe.

“This morning, it appears the flood water has receeded quite a lot and there has been no more rainfall. We do anticipate with the daylight hours another raft of calls but if that happens we are ready to send resources back onto the Island to deal with them.”

People are being reminded to take extra care today as the final day of an eight-day strike campaign by Fire Brigades Union members takes place between 6-8am and 5-7pm.

The strike is part of a national row with the government over changes to pensions.

A spokesman for the fire service added: “Members of the public should continue to dial 999 in an emergency and working crews will attend. Businesses, please follow up automatic alarms with a phone call to ensure a response during periods of reduced fire cover.”

A top barrister from Suffolk has spoken out in a planning row over proposals for a multi-million pound expansion he fears may threaten the tranquillity of Constable Country.

A petition aiming to demonstrate the strength of public support for the multi-million pound Sudbury bypass project was officially launched today at the town hall.

A person who died on the rail line near Ingatestone in Essex on Thursday has been named as 15-year-old William Tweed.

Police are searching for man who told his wife he was going for a walk and did not return home.

Five pieces of lifesaving equipment have been installed in shops across Suffolk, thanks to money raised from the 5p carrier bag charge.

Doctors anticipating a severe outbreak of flu this winter are desperately urging vulnerable people in Suffolk to get vaccinated against the virus.

Police have released an image of a man they would like to speak to in connection with an assault in Colchester.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24