Essex: Domestic abuse campaign Standing Together launched

Domestic violence campaign launched. Library photo. Domestic violence campaign launched. Library photo.

Monday, June 9, 2014
8:38 AM

Domestic abuse is being targeted by Essex Police and Essex County Council in a joint campaign launched today.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Standing Together hopes to reduce the number of people in abusive relationships in the county.

Both authorities have prioritised the crime. In Essex last year 78% of domestic incidents reported to the police were from women, while the remaining 22% were from men.

Domestic abuse can be physical, psychological, sexual or financial and can affect anyone.

County Hall and the police are working with borough councils, the Police and Crime Commissioner, and charities and women’s refuges to all say no to domestic abuse.

People are being asked to “tweet their feet” and upload a photo of their feet to Facebook and Twitter with the hashtags #tweetyourfeet and #notodomesticabuse to show they believe domestic abuse is wrong.

It is hoped the campaign will show the positive difference leaving an abusive relationship can lead to.

Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh said: “This campaign takes a completely new approach to domestic abuse communications.

“We have listened to men and women who have survived an abusive relationship and created content that is engaging, uplifting and positive. Generally, whenever you see domestic abuse campaigns, they are full of doom and gloom – women with black eyes, with their heads in their hands, looking depressed.

“This campaign is about empowerment. It’s about showing that there is life after domestic abuse and that both men and women can be empowered to leave an abusive situation, change their lives and move forward.

“Lots of people generally see domestic abuse campaigns and think to themselves ‘What’s that got to do with me? I’m not being abused’. However, this campaign gives everyone the chance to stand together against domestic abuse and say that it is wrong.”

Dick Madden, county councillor for children and families, added: “This campaign aims to raise awareness of a subject that is often seen as taboo, people don’t talk about it and we want to get people talking. We are encouraging the whole community to get involved and stand with us against this crime.

“Domestic abuse is wrong and ruins lives, working with Essex Police we are committed to helping victims and reducing incidents.”

For more information on the campaign or advice and guidance visit the Essex Police campaign site.

To report domestic abuse to Essex Police call 101, or 999 in an emergency.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.


We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?


Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT