January 28 2015 Latest news:
Friday, August 15, 2014
A girl with a severe nut allergy fell unconscious on a plane after a selfish passenger ignored three warnings not to eat peanuts during the flight.
Fae Platten, four, was just 20 minutes into a flight home from a holiday when the drama unfolded.
Fae, from West Bergholt, has an allergy so severe even the slightest contact can cause an angry rash and leave her fighting for breath.
Cabin crew on the Ryanair flight to Stansted Airport from Tenerife made three announcements warning of passengers onboard with allergies.
Nuts were not sold on the flight and passengers were asked not to open any they had brought with them.
But a man sitting four rows away from Fae’s family ignored the calls and opened a peanut packet, causing Fae’s face to immediately swell up.
Mum Katy, 30, rushed her daughter to the front of the plane but the air conditioning meant there was no escape from nut particles.
Fae’s mouth blistered up and the she went into anaphylactic shock, causing her body to become limp and her breathing laboured before she slipped into unconsciousness. A paramedic onboard gave a shot from Fae’s Jext Pen, carried with her at all times for such occasions.
It was the first time Fae had used the pen and thankfully it brought her back round instantly.
Mrs Platten, a nursery manager, said: “It was a nightmare and I was so scared for Fae, I was shaking.
“There were three very clear warnings yet this man ignored them all. He was a dad with two teenagers so he should have known better.
“I am so angry but my main priority was to make sure Fae was okay.”
On landing an ambulance rushed Fae to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, where she was given steroids and observed for four hours.
Fortunately Fae, who was also travelling with older sister Izzy, six, and dad Dean, 31, suffered no long-term effects from the incident.
Mrs Platten hopes last Tuesday’s drama will raise people’s awareness.
She added: “I think people are a bit blase about allergies and this man didn’t take the warnings seriously.
“Fae has said she never wants to go on an aeroplane again and has had night terrors since the event.”
A Ryanair spokesman said: “Once Ryanair crew were informed of this customer’s allergy, a public address was made.
“As stated on our website, and advised to customers on board, Ryanair cannot guarantee a peanut free aircraft as other customers may bring their own peanut products on board.
“The passenger in question who caused this unfortunate incident has now been banned from flying with Ryanair for two years. Ryanair does not impose life bans.
“Ryanair is delighted to hear that the little girl is making a good recovery.”