Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 1°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Essex: Man banned from keeping horses for five years after neglect conviction

One of the horses, Star, before being treated by the RSPCA.

One of the horses, Star, before being treated by the RSPCA.

Archant

A man convicted of neglecting three horses has been banned from keeping the animals for five years.

James Mayhook, 41, failed to act to keep the animals in a healthy condition at Elm Bungalow Stables in Messing.

Mayhook, of Doubleday Drive, Heybridge, was found guilty of five charges during a hearing in late May.

Yesterday the bench at Colchester Magistrates’ Court ordered Mayhook to do 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £6,000 costs as well as giving him the five-year ban on keeping horses.

The charges were for a lack of action, between March 21 and April 11 last year, to find out why a dark bay mare Star and a companion gelding Snip were underweight or provide them with a suitable diet.

Not taking reasonable steps to ensure a third animal, a Shetland gelding, had a suitable diet made the fifth charge.

Mayhook had previously been cleared of two charges of not taking reasonable steps to ensure the dental needs of both Star and Snip were met.

All three horses are in private boarding and now doing well.

RSPCA inspector Sarah Elmy said: “This was a case of severe neglect where all three horses had simply not been provided with the care they needed.

“Star in particular was in a terrible state and extremely underweight. She was wearing two rugs but despite this you could still see her rib, spine and hip bones protruding.

“Owning a horse is a responsibility and a privilege and this result shows this is not a responsibility which should be taken lightly.

“Sadly it is not as unusual as you would hope to find horses neglected in this way. We are currently facing a horse crisis on a national scale and RSPCA and other equine charities are full to capacity with neglected and abused horses and ponies, with thousands more feared to be at risk.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Stock image of robber. Image: Robert Hoetink

Masked raiders armed with a hammer and a pole pushed staff to the floor and demanded cash from a safe at a corner shop in Witham last night.


Police were called at 6.35am to reports of a crash between a car and a bicycle on the A1304 Barbara Stradbroke Avenue.

A man in his 30s has died after a serious crash in Newmarket this morning.

CCG chairman Mark Shenton says

No cuts will be made to IVF in east Suffolk after a public consultation, medics have revealed this morning.

Philip Heathcote.

The widow of a man killed in the Tunisia terror attack has described how she “played dead” after they were both gunned down as they relaxed on a 30th wedding anniversary holiday, during an inquest into her husband’s death.

A lorry similar to the one which had £60k worth of computer monitors stolen

Nearly £60,000 worth of computer monitors were stolen from a lorry trailer parked in a layby while the driver slept.

Abnormal load. Stock image by Kevin Smith

Motorists across Suffolk are being warned they may experience delays on Sunday, January 29 as police escort an abnormal load through the county.

Lord Neuberger, President of the Supreme Court, announcing that the  Government has lost its appeal against a ruling that the Prime Minister must seek MPs' approval to trigger the process of taking Britain out of the European Union. Picture  Supreme Court/PA Wire

MPs and peers will have to vote before Theresa May can formally start divorce proceedings from the European Union.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24