Excavator used in landfill search for missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague breaks down
PUBLISHED: 11:58 18 March 2017 | UPDATED: 09:54 19 March 2017
The search for missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague has been delayed again after the excavator being used to look for him at the Milton landfill site broke down.
Police have been trawling through waste at the Cambridgeshire site in the hope they may find clues as to where the 23-year-old – who nobody has seen since he disappeared on a night out at 3.24am on September 24 last year – might be.
Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart posted news of the delay on the dedicated Find Corrie Facebook group on Friday.
She said: “The search team were stood down first thing this morning as the excavator has broken down. Work will hopefully resume on Monday.”
Despite claiming that the landfill site in Cambridgeshire was always an open line of enquiry, Mrs Urquhart revealed last week that police released the site four months ago.
However, even though the landfill owners had been given legal permission to start piling rubbish back on top of the area where Corrie’s body may have been dumped, they had not done so.
Mrs Urquhart believes it is only a matter of time before a body is found at the site after police told her there had been an error in the weight of waste collected from a bin in the Horseshoe area of Bury St Edmunds.
CCTV footage from the night of his disappearance shows Corrie entering the Horseshoe, which is off Brentgovel Street, but there is no trace of him leaving and he is not seen on any other CCTV cameras in the area.
A bin lorry later entered the area and removed a load of more than 100kg from a large refuse container, although it was initially thought just 11kg of waste had been collected.
On hearing the news about the error in the bin weight, Mrs Urquhart said: “This can only mean one thing.”
Any information relating to the inquiry should phone the police incident room on 01473 782019 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111