December 10 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
A company planning to construct a £200million gas-fired power station has confirmed it will place connecting cables underground to avoid the need to build pylons across the Suffolk countryside.
Progress Power, which wants to build the station at Eye Airfield, has eased the fears of nearby residents after it said it would bury the cables, which would have covered about 2km.
District and town councillor Charles Flatman said one of the “main stumbling blocks” to the proposals had been the possibility of the pylons being constructed.
He said: “I’m mainly happy about this but as I have said I am just a single voice, I would like to get the opinion of the people of Eye before the consultation.
“I feel Progress Power has made every effort to listen to the people in Eye which is favourable.”
The company, which intends to apply for development consent permission early in the New Year, is to carry out a further consultation period this month.
Town councillor Merlin Carr said he hoped further questions about the development would be answered at the consultation.
Changes to the proposed chimney heights have seen them reduced from 90 metres to no more than 30 metres.
Progress Power’s project director Chris McKerrow said: “We are still at an early stage in the planning and consultation process.
“Local people will have further opportunities to offer their opinions on the project when the planning inspectorate starts its examination process during the course of next year.”
Up to 250 jobs during the plant’s construction would be created; with 15 permanent positions at the site. For information on the consultation, which runs until November 7, visit www.progresspower.co.uk