Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Eyke: Doctors say ‘no change’ in condition of Britain’s first Ebola sufferer

PUBLISHED: 08:01 28 August 2014

William Pooley from Eyke, near Woodbridge, who has contracted Ebola

William Pooley from Eyke, near Woodbridge, who has contracted Ebola

Archant

Doctors caring for a Suffolk aid volunteer who became Britain’s first confirmed Ebola sufferer last night said there had been no change in his condition.

William Pooley, 29, of Eyke, near Woodbridge contracted the potentially deadly virus while in Sierra Leone, where he had been volunteering at the Ebola centre in Kenema.

He was flown back to the UK for emergency treatment in an isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital in north London, where he was given the first dose of the experimental drug ZMapp on Monday.

Michael Jacobs, consultant and clinical lead in infectious diseases at the Royal Free Hospital, said: “We have had the opportunity to give him the ZMapp treatment.

“It is an experimental medicine, we made that absolutely clear in our discussions with him.”

Mr Pooley, pictured, is receiving round-the-clock, but experts said his treatment could take weeks, if not longer, and there is no guarantee he will survive.

Dr Jacobs added: “We are giving him the very best care possible. However, the next few days will be crucial.”

Last night, a spokesman for the hospital said Mr Pooley’s doctors had reported no updates to his condition.

Mr Pooley has been praised by colleagues as “particularly brave” after he risked his life to volunteer at the Kenema Government Hospital when he heard about the pressing need for medics facing the Ebola crisis.

Dr Oliver Johnson, who worked with him in Sierra Leone, said he was an “extraordinary guy” who knew the risks involved but was prepared to take them for the sake of the patients.

The disease is highly infectious, but health chiefs have insisted the risk to the British public “remains very low”.

Police are searching for a 52-year-old man from Leavenheath who has been reported missing.

Police have arrested a 66-year-old man in connection with an incident that caused armed officers to swoop on Ipswich town centre tonight.

Highways bosses have announced they will be carrying out a series of improvements to the road network across Suffolk and north Essex this week.

Kebab fans will be excited to hear a new fast food outlet that prides itself on making top quality versions of the takeaway staple is opening in Ipswich soon.

Drivers in Woodbridge have faced long delays this afternoon after a major route through the town became flooded.

Firefighters were sent to tackle a blaze that broke out in a flat in Ipswich this afternoon.

Colchester MP Will Quince has described a knife attack in the town that left a teenager seriously hurt as “deeply alarming”.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24