April 24 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Organisers of a banned motoring event are hoping to revive the gatherings at sanctioned venues after holding “constructive and positive” talks with a council boss.
Ray Connors, whose controversial “drifting” events had been issued with a stop order by Suffolk Coastal District Council, met with Stephen Baker, the authority’s chief executive, to agree terms for the motoring meet-ups to resume.
In a joint statement after the meeting both men stated: “It had been a constructive and positive meeting, which covered a lot of ground and explored possible ways forward for future drifting events in the area.
”The council has offered expert advice and guidance to Mr Connnors and his team as they consider options open to them in the future.”
Mr Connors, 29, began the monthly Drift-swich events at the Orwell Crossing Lorry Park, to offer motoring enthusiasts a safe and secure environment to pursue their passion away from the public roads of Ipswich.
Despite winning backing from a number of high profile supporters, from church ministers to motoring organisations, the events also received a number of noise complaints and were shut down by the council last month.
The Felixstowe-based businessman said he was now looking for alternative venues to resume the events.
Eastern Counties Motor Club, which is affiliated with the Motor Sports Association, the sport’s governing body, hosts regular events across the region and has invited Mr Connors to collaborate in the near future.
ECMC’s competition secretary Tony Burchnall said: “We are hoping to be in a position to support Mr Connors and his drifters and will certainly invite them to the next meet that we have, which will be an autosolo event.
“I encourage them to come along and find out if its something they want to be involved with.”
Mr Connors said he was keen to take up the ECMC’s offer although he needed to “cross the t’s and dot the i’s” to ensure his present at the event complied with the regulations.