Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 0°C

Search

Felixstowe: Prezzo given go-ahead for new restaurant

PUBLISHED: 07:30 23 January 2013

Queues at Candler and Son in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, during the store's last days as the company closed last year after a century of trading.

Queues at Candler and Son in Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, during the store's last days as the company closed last year after a century of trading.

Archant

TWENTY new full-time jobs are on the cards for Felixstowe today after the go-ahead was given for a former furniture store to be turned into an upmarket Italian restaurant.

Prezzo is taking over the old Candlers store in the town centre and has been granted permission by Suffolk Coastal planners for a restaurant for 110 people on the ground floor, 44 upstairs, and a small courtyard seating area for fine weather.

The new jobs will be in addition to a further 20 or so to be created at the rear of the site, where the store’s warehouse and car park are to be used for seven new business units.

It is an important boost for employment in the town centre, which could see another 200 extra jobs if Albourne Property’s plans for a superstore next to the railway station are approved.

Pegasus Planning Group, acting on behalf of Prezzo plc, said the change of use for Candlers would bring an empty building back into use and provide employment for local people, enhancing economic growth.

“The introduction of a vibrant restaurant such as Prezzo will create an increase in footfall as well as creating new jobs and enhancing the vitality and viability of Felixstowe town centre,” said the company.

“Prezzo is a well-known restaurant brand which is open during the day, as well as into the evening. As such, the proposed new use will present a lively use, which will enhance the active frontage of Hamilton Road.

“Furthermore, by the nature of the use proposed, this activity will be extended into the early evening, thus helping to benefit the vitality and viability of the evening economy of Felixstowe as a whole.”

The project will also involve adding a small flat-roofed extension at the rear.

Candlers closed its doors last year after more than a century in the town with the retirement of owner Donald Candler, 92.

■ Should such a large shop be lost in the town centre? Post your comment below

5 comments

  • I know we can not plan to stop competition but there are only so many people who want to eat in the town centre and there are already a number of good outlets at that end of town. So their trade will be reduced and thus there viability. The so call jobs boost does not consider this as they other outlet will either fail or reduce there staffing thus reducing jobs. So NO new jobs overall.

    Report this comment

    A Smith

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013

  • Just what the town needs, another eating place, I think not. What would have been good for the town, if M & S had acquired Candlers, kept their original store for food and used the new one for clothes and all the other things they sell. Would have been so much better for the town.

    Report this comment

    October girl

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013

  • At last a little development to Felixstowe, I may actually consider eating out in this dead town once in a while now!

    Report this comment

    Marc Wilson

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013

  • Well Mr A Smith we tried on Sat. Night to get a table for four at the place opposite and told there would be an hour and half wait just to get a table so things can't be too bad in the restaurant industry.

    Report this comment

    Alan Smith

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013

  • Fantastic news - Prezzos will bring in lots of people which can only be good news for the town centre. The naysayers need to stop looking gift horses in the mouth!

    Report this comment

    paul

    Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

The number of people diagnosed with kidney cancer has doubled in the region in the last decade, new research has shown.

Police have thanked the public for helping in the search for a missing 15-year-old boy from Stowmarket.

A pub manager is taking on a nerve-shredding aerial challenge to fund disease support and research.

A new interpretation board has been unveiled near the site of a crucial episode in the history of Colchester.

Young people who were representing Scouting during the Saint George’s Day parades have been a “credit” to their communities.

A go-getting parish council, three popular pubs and plenty of community spirit are some of the ingredients singled out for earning Shotley the chance of being named the country’s ‘village of the year’.

Bookies are tipping the Missing People Choir which has among its membership Suffolk’s Nicki Durbin – to be named winners of this year’s Britain’s Got Talent.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24