December 11 2013 Latest news:
Friday, August 23, 2013
Legal action is under way to evict a group of travellers who have set up camp in a park.
Around 20 caravans moved on to Langer Park at Felixstowe ten days ago following the resort’s carnival celebrations, but some of the group have already packed up and left.
Members of the group had been going around the town offering to carry out outdoor work on gardens and driveways.
Ray Herring, leader of Suffolk Coastal council, said the council was continuing to work with its partners, Suffolk County Council and Suffolk police, to remove the occupants from the unauthorised encampment.
He said: “As required by law, we have visited the site and carried out a welfare audit of the occupants.
“Following this, a multi-agency case conference was held involving all the partners, where it was decided to initiate legal proceeding against those on the site.
“Legal proceedings have now begun with the intention of removing all the travellers, their vehicles and possessions from the site at the earliest opportunity, in line with legislation.
“It should be noted that there has already been a reduction in the number of caravans at the site, with some of the occupants leaving voluntarily prior to legal action being taken.
“We are committed to continuing the legal process until the site is completely clear and returned to public use.”
The council will also now be reviewing security at both car parks and parks.
Officers say the review will consider a number of options but these will have to cater for the requirements of customers who use the car parks – those with camper vans – and will also depend on the cost of any measures proposed.