Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Felixstowe: Fears voiced that it could be months before work resumes on seafront gardens restoration project

15:00 18 September 2013

The current state of the seafront gardens

The current state of the seafront gardens

Unhappy seafront residents fear it could be months before any more work is done on Felixstowe’s famous gardens after community leaders terminated the contract for a £2.76million restoration project.

Developement work has stoped on the Felixstowe Gardens Project after a dispute between Suffolk Costal and the companyDevelopement work has stoped on the Felixstowe Gardens Project after a dispute between Suffolk Costal and the company

Suffolk Coastal’s decision followed a six-week dispute with the main contractor P Casey (Land Reclamation) Ltd during which work was halted.

Trevor Howard, a member of the Bent Hill and Seafront Area Residents’ Association, said: “Clearly the contract wasn’t specified correctly in the first place.

“It seems like some really bad mistakes have been made on this contract.

“I suspect we will get next to nothing now – just the basics when the council gets a new contractor in place, which is a great shame having secured more than £2.5m for the scheme.

“It has been a right mess all summer and I cannot imagine they are going to do this procurement very quickly.

“They will have to re-specify the whole contract and put it out to tender, which could take three months. It could be next spring before see any more work done.”

The project began in mid-May and aimed to restore the nationally-important Edwardian and Victorian gardens to their former glory, including refurbishing historic shelters, ponds and walls, planting of low-maintenance grasses, shrubs and trees, a new contemporary-design shelter, plus a heritage trail.

Good early progress was made on some of the preparation for hard landscaping works and then residents noticed a slowdown in the work with less men on site.

On July 25, Suffolk Coastal’s cabinet member for leisure and economic development Geoff Holdcroft said “contractual issues” had arisen on the project and the matter had been put into the hands of the authority’s lawyers.

The council has now terminated the contract, alleging breach of contract. Details of the issues in the dispute have not been made public by either party.

Now, subject to Heritage Lottery Fund approval, the council will embark on a process to identify a new contractor to carry out the restoration work.

The scheme A spokeswoman for the Casey Group said the company would not be commenting on the matter.

5 comments

  • Another let down for Felixstowe. No doubt a poorly specified contracttender by Suffolk Coastal District Council. This will now cost taxpayers a fortune to put right and then there is the ongoing loss for Felixstowe residents and businesses while we all wait months for it to be put right. I think the Town of Felixstowe deserves a proper explanationtotal transparency on what has happened here.

    Report this comment

    JJStowe

    Thursday, September 19, 2013

  • Seems to me that local authorities now seem to deliberately and cynically let their assets fall into disrepair, and then apply to the Heritage Lottery Fund to bring them back up to standard.

    Report this comment

    Erm, Why?

    Wednesday, September 18, 2013

  • What attractions will our once beautiful busy sea front be able to offer visitors next year? A closed theatre, run down gardens (which at the moment are themed as a building site), a disused boating lake and a scruff hedge that is only trimmed at the end of the season? Is this part of the wider planner to revamp the whole area? The whole Spa site could be used to build luxury sea view flats. Too many fails for my likening.

    Report this comment

    Marc James

    Wednesday, September 18, 2013

  • As ever a stunning lack of transparency and accountability from Suffolk coastal DC. They appear to operate in a parallel universe where they can undertake esoteric debates with themselves consistently achieving nothing for the town. What a shower.

    Report this comment

    paul

    Wednesday, September 18, 2013

  • What attractions will our once beautiful busy sea front be able to offer visitors next year? A closed theatre, run down gardens (which at the moment are themed as a building site), a disused boating lake and a scruff hedge that is only trimmed at the end of the season? Is this part of the wider planner to revamp the whole area? The whole Spa site could be used to build luxury sea view flats. Too many fails for my likening.

    Report this comment

    Marc James

    Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Flowers left at the scene in Long Melford where a man in his 20s died in a car crash on February 19, 2017. Picture: CHRIS SHIMWELL

Friends have described a ‘good man taken too soon’ after a driver in his 20s died following a crash into a boundary wall in Long Melford.

Regent House care home in Wellesley Road. Picture: SEANA HUGHES

A 63-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a 70-year-old after an alleged “altercation” at a Clacton care home.

Roadworks around Ranelagh Road in Ipswich will begin on Monday, and are expected to last around 10 weeks. Picture: Jason Noble

A major route into Ipswich town centre is to close for seven weeks from tomorrow - prompting warnings to motorists to allow extra time for their journeys.

The latest public search for Corrie McKeague at Barton Mills. Andy King (Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue) talking with Nicola Urquhart.
Picture: PHIL MORLEY

The latest public search for RAF Honington serviceman Corrie McKeague has now concluded at Barton Mills.

The start of the race with Ru Bennett-Day being pushed by mum Sarah. Picture: PHIL MORLEY

An inspiring three-year-old with leukaemia was at the start of a 10km race in Rattlesden to raise money for charities improving survival rates for children diagnosed with the illness.

Life on Reading Road in Ipswich is returning to normal after a cannabis plants were discovered at the scene of a serious house fire on Friday

Police have finished their work removing cannabis plants from the scene of a serious house fire in Ipswich.

Ofsted has rated three providers inadequate in the last month. Stock image. Picture: Edmond Terakopian/PA Wire

Suffolk County Council has allocated special advisers to three failing nurseries and playgroups in and around Ipswich, after the third early-years establishment in the last month has been rated inadequate by Ofsted inspectors.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24