Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 17°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Felixstowe man Ian Durrands who was on trial over string of child sex allegations is found dead in River Orwell

13:36 29 October 2014

Orwell Bridge

Orwell Bridge

Archant

A man has been found dead in the water near the Orwell Bridge six days into his trial over a string of child sex-related allegations.

Ian Durrands, of Cage Lane, Felixstowe, had denied the charges.

His body was found on Monday, the day of his 53rd birthday, after he failed to turn up at Ipswich Crown Court.

Durrands is the second person due in court on child sex charges to have died beneath the Orwell Bridge in the last three months.

In July the body of Peter Thorpe, of Sunfield Close, Ipswich, was found just five hours before his scheduled appearance at the town’s magistrates court. He had been accused of making indecent images of a child and publishing an obscene article.

A subsequent inquest found the 66-year-old had taken his own life.

Suffolk Constabulary has not confirmed the body found on Monday is that of Durrands. However it did confirm a man had died.

Spokeswoman Charlotte Parker said: “Police were called at around 12.40pm on Monday after concerns were raised by a member of the public about a missing relative.

“Emergency services launched a search, and at approximately 1.15pm a man was found on the River Orwell.

“He was pronounced dead at the scene and the death is not being treated as suspicious.

“The matter has been referred to the coroner and an inquest will be opened in due course.”

Durrands had denied three offences of sexual assault of child under 13 between 2004 and 2008 and assault of a child by penetration between 2006 and 2012.

He had also pleaded not guilty to taking revenge between 2008 and 2013 by sending correspondence and setting up, updating, controlling web sites which harmed and were intended to harm a woman and members of her family knowing or believing that she and other members of her family had assisted in the investigation of offences.

In addition he denied two offences of making more than 2,500 indecent pictures of children, one offence of distributing indecent pictures of children and two offences of possessing indecent images of children.

At the time of Durrands’ death the prosecution evidence was still being heard.

His trial began on Monday last week and was due to last at least until the end of this week.

Yesterday Judge John Holt called the jury into court at 10.45am and discharged them after prosecutor David Matthew announced after Durrands failed to turn up at court on Monday his car was found in a layby near the Orwell Bridge.

A body was recovered from the river by the Harwich lifeboat.

Durrands’ driving licence was found on him and he was identified by his brother-in-law.

Judge Holt told the jury:” In the light of these circumstances I formally discharge you. There is nothing further for you to do. I’m sorry it came to this sad end.”

He ordered the indictment to be marked “defendant deceased”.

8 comments

  • Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Of course this doesn't happen anymore. This article is nothing but suesational journalism. I knew of Mr Durrands and the reporter couldn't even get his age right. He was 63. This is a very sad case and there is much more to this than is able to be reported. He was a vulnerable man who had been interviewed by the police in the past and had attempted suicide before. He obviously felt so depressed and couldn't carry on with the trial in order to give his version of events. This man was failed by so many people and no one should be rejoicing in the death of another person

    Report this comment

    Disillusioned

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • So this is the police's fault now concerned human ? He was not waiting sentence either , why do the police have a duty of care ? They have had to endure millions of pounds worth of savings ! Some peoples idea of the way the world should run is pathetic .

    Report this comment

    Poppys Dad

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • This mean was being investigated. This is not the same as convicted and guilty. It clearly demonstrates the need for more support for those who are under investigation and who could just as easily be innocent as guilty. nobody should be driven to suicide.

    Report this comment

    Sentinel Red

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • No-one should be happy a fellow human being has ended their life, regardless of what they have done. Suffolk Police have a duty of care to protect people awaiting sentence so justice can be served and rehibilitation started.

    Report this comment

    Concerned Human

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • You cannot comment on anything that causes high passions in people but these are just the things that people SHOULD be allowed to comment on. Severe punishments for criminals or the criminal behaviour of some gypsies and some immigrants are examples. But it is interesting to note that the far superior location of the BBC News website will allow comments on such issues; so clearly it is not illegal. Perhaps our local papers think they are more important than the BBC. Hahaha.

    Report this comment

    Johnthebap

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • you cant comment on anything controversial

    Report this comment

    barry chark

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • I emailed the star some time ago and asked how decisions are made on which stories are able to be commented on and which don't. No answer. I would really like to know. This case ...however he died ..there will be a lot of unanswered questions.

    Report this comment

    Alex Prowse

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

  • So we can comment on this article ? What do you expect us to say ?

    Report this comment

    Poppys Dad

    Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A motorist involved in a crash on the A14 in which a teenager died will live with the “huge remorse” for the rest of his life, a court has heard.

Hugh O'Neill, headteacher of St Benedict's School, Bury St Edmunds.

Turbulent times are ahead for Bury St Edmunds schools with “chaos” predicted as the two and three-tier systems compete against each other.

Andy Beckwith

An emotional appeal has been made to find a former Essex man who has gone missing in Gibraltar.

Philip Lee, with Fair Access to Colchester, Will Quince MP and Emily Papaleo, with RNIB, take a walk in Colchester to show the MP the sort of obstacles blind and deafblind people meet with while walking on the High Street.

Will Quince took part in a blindfold walk around the town centre yesterday to highlight the challenges blind and partially sighted people face on a daily basis.

A police officer stands outside the Olympia mall in Munich, southern Germany, Friday, July 22, 2016 after shots were fired. (AP Photo/Sebastian Widmann)

The gunman who shot dead nine people and injured 16 others at a Munich shopping centre was an 18-year-old German-Iranian man, police believe.

Woman repays £7,600 in overpayment claim

A Kesgrave woman has been fined after making a false statement to obtain £7,600 worth of benefits which she was not entitled to.

Network Rail is replacing overhead line equipment between Shenfield and Liverpool Street.

Delays caused by extreme heat like those that affected rail services in the region could be less common in future according to Network Rail.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24