Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Felixstowe: Volunteer Coast Patrol Service could be left high and dry this summer unless

07:00 04 January 2014

John Cresswell, chairman of the Felixstowe Volunteer Coast Patrol Rescue Service.

John Cresswell, chairman of the Felixstowe Volunteer Coast Patrol Rescue Service.

Archant

Unless a major backer comes forward, a resort patrol and rescue service says it will not be able to operate this summer.

shares

Members of Felixstowe Volunteer Coast Patrol Rescue Service were lucky to escape with their lives after being involved in a road accident which wrecked their lifeboat and caused £100,000 worth of damage to kit.
The crews had been taking their lifeboat from Felixstowe to Saxmundham ready to help with the floods rescue operation in north Suffolk following the sea surge last month.

Rescue service chairman John Cresswell said the insurance money for the damaged equipment would not cover the cost of replacing everything the service would need for its operations.

He said: “Unless we get a major benefactor very soon, we will not be out on the water this summer.

“If anyone is out there looking for a major sponsorship project then we would love to hear from them – it’s an ideal opportunity for someone to come forward and be our saviour.”

The crew was travelling along the A12 at Foxhall in a convoy of three 4x4 vehicles towing three boats when the vehicles were caught in a cross-wind. One of the vehicles and a boat was in collision with an overtaking vehicle and hit the central reservation crash barrier.

One vehicle cartwheeled over on to its right side before being pulled upright by the jack-knifing trailer and boat.

The trailer broke free and continued on for some 60metres before dumping the fully-equipped lifeboat, which also cartwheeled, on to the carriageway.

Mr Cresswell said: “It’s a real shame because we were really looking forward to next season. Year after year we struggle to get enough money together for fuel and to keep the equipment up-to-date, and this year all that was in place.”

He said it was “17 years of hard slog and public money down the drain”.

Last summer the service saw a 120% rise in the number of people it helped, its second busiest ever season.

Anyone able to help the service should get in touch with John Cresswell on 01394 270929.

shares

1 comment

  • Just in case anyone is wondering, I've forwarded this story to BBC Look East in order to broaden its coverage in the area. If anyone else is considering contacting BBC Look East (East) re this story, then the email address is : look.east@bbc.co.uk

    Report this comment

    John Shirley

    Sunday, January 5, 2014

Police are searching for 15-year-old Niamh McGovern, who has gone missing from Braintree (pictured)

Police say they are concerned for the welfare of a 15-year-old girl who has gone missing from Braintree.

Police close road (file picture)

Saddlemakers Lane in Melton is currently closed while BT repair fallen telephone lines.

Maj Bruce Ekman, 36, of Colchester-based 16 Air Assault Brigade, who suffered serious injuries when his vehicle hit an IED in Afghanistan in 2011, is taking part in the Invictus Games process for a second time. Photo: Cpl James McAllister

A soldier whose left foot was shattered by an explosive in Afghanistan is in the running for a place on the UK team at the next Invictus Games.

Mouth cancer survivor Sam Fordham with husband Neil and five-year-old daughter Molly

A woman who beat mouth cancer has said it is vital people who think they have symptoms of any form of the disease gets them checked out early.

An Abellio Greater Anglia train

There are delays of up to 20 minutes for rail users travelling between Ipswich and Cambridge due to a signalling fault.

Pupils at Farlingaye High, Woodbridge, prepare their presentations as part of the Most Able Student Day at the school.

Gifted pupils gathered for the latest in a series of events aimed at helping them realise their early academic promise.

Rail passengers will be bussed to Newbury Park Tube station.

A 100-strong fleet of buses was rolling into action today to keep passengers moving between East Anglia and London as the first weekend rail line closure takes effect.

Most read

Fred Olsen Travel Sale

cover

Click here to view
the Fred Olsen
Travel Sale

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24