Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Floods of 1953: Princess Royal visits Essex to remember flood victims

PUBLISHED: 09:27 01 February 2013 | UPDATED: 09:27 01 February 2013

The Princess Royal meeting Mrs Nellie Verton of the Watersnood Museum in the Netherlands during a visit to Essex.

Photo credi: Nick Strugnell/Essex County Council/PA

The Princess Royal meeting Mrs Nellie Verton of the Watersnood Museum in the Netherlands during a visit to Essex. Photo credi: Nick Strugnell/Essex County Council/PA

THE Princess Royal was in Chelmsford yesterday to attend a special memorial service to mark the 60th anniversary of the great flood which devastated the region and claimed hundreds of lives.

During the private service, which was held at the city’s cathedral, her Royal Highness gave a reading to the congregation which inlcuded flood survivors from Essex and local dignatories.

The service also included a drama performance by the Cast and Crew Flood! Workshop, and a prayer reading by leader of Essex County Council Peter Martin.

Speaking after the event, he said: “It is an honour to know that a member of the Royal Family was able to join us for this very special service.

“The flood disaster of 1953 was a tragic and terrible point in Essex’s history, but it nonetheless is a tremendously important event that we should remember.

“Hundreds of lives were lost, families were torn apart and thousands of homes were destroyed. I hope everyone in Essex takes time to remember this day in our history.”

On the evening of January 31 1953 the east coast of England was struck by some of the worst flooding from the North Sea in recent history.

Among the worst hit areas in Essex were Jaywick and Harwich. In total 307 British people died and 24,000 homes were damaged or destroyed.

The Very Revernd Peter Judd, Dean of Chelmsford, said: “The Cathedral has been honoured to welcome The Princess Royal to the service to mark the 60th anniversary of The Great Flood.

“We at the Cathedral were pleased to host this service, and to welcome leaders of the community, and those affected by these tragic events. Memory matters to us, and we hope that this service has both remembered the struggles and tragedies of those events, and helped in the healing process.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A 50-year-old man from Cambridgeshire who was arrested after a fatal crash on the A140 on Tuesday will appear in court tomorrow to face dangerous driving charges.

Emergency services including firefighters, police and paramedics are at the scene of a serious crash in Lowestoft.

An Essex father who threw a corrosive liquid at a teenager outside a popular restaurant in Walton-on-the-Naze will now face years behind bars.

A jealous Suffolk man who fired a BB gun at a car after finding text messages from the vehicle’s owner on his partner’s phone has been jailed for ten months.

A group of men from London are facing drugs charges and money laundering offences after a police chase on the A14 at the weekend.

A former geography teacher from Essex says that schoolchildren should be taught more about what to do if a natural disaster occurs after getting caught up in the earthquake which hit Kos last week.

Drivers heading home from work in west Suffolk this evening could face long delays on the A11 after a lorry tipped over on the southbound carriageway near Barton Mills.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24