Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 9°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs are coming. Find out more about

Pigs Gone Wild

here.

Framlingham: Removing play equipment from Castle Brooks park would be ‘scandalous’

11:01 07 June 2014

Users of a play area in Framlingham are angry that Suffolk Coastal District council is to remove one of the swings and the fencing because of a complaint.

Users of a play area in Framlingham are angry that Suffolk Coastal District council is to remove one of the swings and the fencing because of a complaint.

Removing play equipment from a Suffolk park due to neighbours’ complaints would be “scandalous” and immoral councillors have said.

Framlingham Town Council agreed to object to the proposed removal of the “birds’ nest swing” and fencing around the play area near Castle Brooks in the town.

The planned removal, put forward in response to the disturbance complaints made by two neighbouring residents, had already provoked outcry from parents of children who used the play area.

Councillors at Thursday’s town council meeting supported those objections, and called for“common sense to take precedence over planning rules”.

Councillor Kevin Coe said the play area had been built by a “reputable firm” and its presence had been “well documented” in the housing scheme.

“I cannot see how morally they [the council] have got any reason to go against the wishes of the greater community for the views of a few people,” he said.

“This sort of thing is happening more and more - it’s time that common sense took precedence over planning rules.”

Councillor Bob Roberts added that it would be “scandalous” if the equipment was removed because of “a measure that’s been proposed by just two people”.

Suffolk Coastal District Council first informed residents about the proposal on May 27. It has since apologised for giving the impression that the proposal had been put forward by Hopkins Homes, the site developer.

Philip Ridley, head of planning, said: “Hopkins Homes has no part to play in either the current consultations or future decisions regarding the play area, Hopkins Homes has at all times, acted entirely in accordance with the planning agreement with the council.”

James Hopkins, the company’s co-founder, said he was “very aggrieved” to see the misinformation and stressed Hopkins Homes has “absolutely nothing to do” with the proposed removal.

“We see the play are as being of direct benefit to the residents and young people of the area. At no time have we in any way sought to put forward an application to have it removed,” he said.

“We would like to think we would closely with communities to provide housing, affordable housing and play equipment for those communities.”

To comment on the plan email patsy.dobson@suffolkcoastal.gov.uk

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Inspector Julian Ditcham with the Drager Alcotest used by Suffolk Constabulary tests a motorist.

A 55-year-old woman has been jailed after driving while nearly four times the legal alcohol limit less than five months into a drink-drive ban.

Colchester Castle

Taking a selfie at your favourite Colchester attractions could help a new £100,000 heritage campaign take off in the town.

Missing Kelvedon man Chris May

Police searching for missing Kelvedon man Chris May have said they no longer expect to find him alive and are treating the case as a murder investigation.

Pictured at the garden, left to right, Jonathan Hodgson (Pro Corda assistant director), Elizabeth McEneany, Andrew Quartermain (CEO and artistic director), Shiry Rashkovsky, Sarah Falk (Chair of Trustees), Susie Herman.  Picture by Shuvaseesh Das www.das-photography.co.uk

Growers and garden designers from across the region were among yesterday’s medal winners at the prestigious RHS Chelsea Flower Show.

Wellie upcycling ahead of the Suffolk Show 
Children from Claydon primary School, Ipswich get creative with old wellies

Schools in Suffolk have been getting involved in a project to promote reuse and upcycling – using their wellies.

AXA Friends and family emabarked upon a 5K charity walkin Felixstowe  in aid of EACH on Sunday 22nd May.

More than £1,000 was raised by AXA staff and their families when they embarked on a six-mile walk around Felixstowe on Sunday.

Police are investigating

Burglaries to two commercial properties in Martlesham and Ipswich last month are believed to be linked, prompting a police appeal for witnesses.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24