Great Ashfield: Firefighters tackle blaze at thatched property
11:59 15 March 2014
Sarah Lucy brown
More than 20 firefighters have tackled a fire at a thatched home in Suffolk this morning.
Crews were called just before 9am to Long Thurlow Road, Great Ashfield, near Walsham-le-Willows, to reports of a blaze.
The first appliance got to the address, measuring 10metres by five metres, at 9.05am and reported a fire in the thatch around the chimney breast.
Crews from Elmswell, Stowmarket, Eye, Diss, Bury St Edmunds, and Ixworth were sent to the scene, and they broke away thatch from the roof to expose the chimney and stop the flames from spreading.
Salvage was in progress on the ground and first floor, and police also attended for traffic control.
The fire was under control by 10.35am, and the cause was given as accidental.