November 22 2014 Latest news:
Saturday, July 5, 2014
Huge plumes of steam seen coming from the incinerator complex at Great Blakenham, which sparked pollution fears, was caused by a chimney being steam cleaned, it has emerged.
Dramatic images were sent from the scene early on Saturday morning but the county council has stressed that the steam would not have caused any danger to public health.
A spokeswoman said the cleaning was taking place to get rid of rust inside a chimney and that if it is done in future, people will be told.
She added: “It is absolutely harmless.
“It is a normal process that won’t be done very regularly. It was just the first time that they have done it but in the future, people will be made aware.”
One fire crew was sent to the scene at about 9.30am following reports that what initially appeared to be smoke was seen in the area.
Gavin Hodge, of Somersham, who took this picture of the scene, said: “There were huge volumes of pink smoke blowing up in front of the complex.”
The steam quickly dissipated and it was deemed there was no incident for the fire service to deal with.