Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Hadleigh/Ipswich: Heating engineer found guilty of health and safety failings in case that followed customer’s death

09:18 09 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer has been found guilty of health and safety failings relating to the servicing of a customer’s boiler who later died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

shares

Peter Sykes, 68, a self employed servicing engineer from Castle Road, Hadleigh, is today awaiting the jury’s verdict on whether the failings also constitute the more serious charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Annette Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in Ipswich on December 5, 2012 – just 47 days after Sykes last serviced her oil-fired heating system. She was pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning the following day.

Yesterday, the jury at Norwich Crown Court convicted Sykes of health and safety charges relating to the boiler inspection carried out at Mrs Coe’s property in St Edmunds Road on October 19, 2012. He was also found guilty of health and safety failings relating to another customer’s heating system.

The jury, which spent yesterday and much of Monday deliberating, is expected to make its decision on the manslaughter charge today along with one remaining health and safety offence.

shares
Remi Morrison is pictured at Pump and Grind in Ipswich.

Love is the theme this week as venues in Ipswich celebrate Valentine’s Day with live music spanning from blues, reggae, rock and soul.

The junior doctors strike at West Suffolk Hospital in bury.

A Suffolk hospital boss has denied supporting the imposing of a contract on junior doctors after his name appeared on the “key” letter that led to the decision.

Stock image.

A fire believed to have been caused by a mobile phone overheating under a quilt “destroyed” a bedroom in Colchester on Friday night.

Poilce investigation work at the scene of the accident on the A12 at Martlesham Heath.

A 20-month-old little girl died on Friday afternoon after a crash on the A12 in Martlesham on Thursday.

Stock image.

Firefighters in Essex were called to a bungalow fire in Jaywick caused by an unattended candle on Friday night.

Vernon Wilkes' Rolex.

A Rolex watch bought in Canada during the Second World War could sell for double its actual worth at auction next week because of a letter from a former owner.

Former footballer Marcus Bent. Pic: Steve Parsons/PA Wire.

Former Ipswich Town footballer Marcus Bent has escaped being sent to jail as he was sentenced for confronting two officers with a meat cleaver and a kitchen knife while in a “delusional” state under the influence of cocaine.

Most read

Fred Olsen Travel Sale

cover

Click here to view
the Fred Olsen
Travel Sale

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24