Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 15°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Hadleigh/Ipswich: Heating engineer found guilty of health and safety failings in case that followed customer’s death

09:18 09 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer has been found guilty of health and safety failings relating to the servicing of a customer’s boiler who later died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

shares

Peter Sykes, 68, a self employed servicing engineer from Castle Road, Hadleigh, is today awaiting the jury’s verdict on whether the failings also constitute the more serious charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Annette Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in Ipswich on December 5, 2012 – just 47 days after Sykes last serviced her oil-fired heating system. She was pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning the following day.

Yesterday, the jury at Norwich Crown Court convicted Sykes of health and safety charges relating to the boiler inspection carried out at Mrs Coe’s property in St Edmunds Road on October 19, 2012. He was also found guilty of health and safety failings relating to another customer’s heating system.

The jury, which spent yesterday and much of Monday deliberating, is expected to make its decision on the manslaughter charge today along with one remaining health and safety offence.

shares

Emergency services are tonight dealing with a multi-vehicle pile-up which has closed the A140.

Ipswich Town V Brighton.

It may not have been the outcome the home crowd were hoping for, but the 21,000 fans at Portman Road this afternoon were left thoroughly entertained as Ipswich Town lost 3-2 to Brighton.

Suffolk County Council's headquarters at Endeavour House in Ipswich.

The number of high earners at Suffolk County Council has risen for the first time in four years, according to new figures.

The scene of the accident on the A133 at Weeley between a push bike and a van.

A woman cyclist is in a life-threatening condition in hospital following a collision with a van on the A133 at Weeley.

Knives handed in during an amnesty at Clacton Police Station

A survey by a weapons awareness charity has found one-quarter of youngsters in Clacton have been threatened with a knife.

The Energy from Waste Site in Great Blakenham.

Nearly a year after it first started to turn Suffolk’s waste into something useful – electricity – the Great Blakenham incinerator is helping to keep rubbish out of the county’s holes in the ground.

Police are investigating after rope was tied across a road

‘Lives are being put at risk’ – that’s the warning from Essex Police after motorists had to manoeuvre around a rope which was tied across a road.

Writer and historian Dr Mark Felton

A historian and author from Colchester whose book has been picked up by Hollywood has released a new thriller based on another daring Second World War mission.

Toby Freeman from Robin Cancer Trust, Ben Payne from Reflective Ice Limited and Angie Diggens from St Helena Hospice are teaming up to have a charity night at the Winter Wonderland and Ice Rink in Colchester Castle Park.

An ice rink planned for central Colchester this winter will be taken over by local charities for a night.

Ladbrokes

Two men stole hundreds of pounds during an armed robbery at a bookmakers in Felixstowe last night.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages