Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 16°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Hadleigh/Ipswich: Heating engineer Peter Sykes claims sudden system failure led to Annette Coe’s death from carbon monoxide poisoning

11:25 01 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer accused of killing a customer by failing to properly service their boiler has attributed the deadly build up of poisonous gas to a sudden malfunction he could not have foreseen.

shares

Peter Sykes, 68, told Norwich Crown Court he had thoroughly cleaned Annette Coe’s oil-fired heating system during an annual service on October 19, 2012 – just 47 days before she was found collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road, Ipswich.

Mrs Coe, the 72-year-old mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning the following morning, December 6.

Sykes, who denies manslaughter by gross negligence, is accused of not clearing the chimney flue thereby allowing poisonous gas to circulate Mrs Coe’s home at fatal levels.

Giving evidence yesterday, Sykes, of Castle Road, Hadleigh, claimed a sudden fracture in the heat exchanger – where fresh air meets heated air – had caused the failure as it was the only part of the system he had been unable to check. He said it was not practically possible to do so.

However Sykes insisted he had carried out a thorough inspection of the system on October 19 and also claimed it was clean and operational when he returned to the property on December 3 to fit a replacement solenoid coil.

The self-employed heating engineer, who had carried out annual inspections at the house for more than 40 years, gave the court a detailed account of the steps taken during an inspection, the tools he used and the checks made to ensure adequate safety.

He said he followed a methodical routine from which he never deviated and would always check the flue and chimney for blockages.

“That would be the most important thing,” he said. “It’s a case of life and I value life a lot more than just skipping and skiving on a routine.”

Sykes also denies three further health and safety charges relating to Mrs Coe’s heating system and two other customers.

He disputed expert accounts of failures found in the heating system belonging to Melvyn Smith in Raydon.

And he said the high carbon monoxide readings found in Mary Blyton’s gas heating system in Woodbridge could be explained by the 15 month interval since his last inspection.

Although he admitted he should not have been servicing gas systems at all as he was no longer registered to do so, he said he only did it for friends.

Sykes told the court he had not worked since Mrs Coe’s death and said he had received more than 100 letter of support from customers thanking him for his service.

The trial continues.

shares
The scene of the accident on the A133 at Weeley between a push bike and a van.

A cyclist has died in hospital following a collision with a van on the A133 at Weeley.

Fire Fighters damping down the fire at The George Pub in Wickham Market in 2013

No progress has been made on the restoration of the pub by its new owners, who bought the site from Punch Taverns for £62,000 last year.

Tony rasping his 49th horse of the challenge - the 1000kg Suffolk Punch 'Oswald' owned by Sue and Andrew Wager of Heybridge.

A vet took on a charity challenge with a difference as he rasped 50 horses’ teeth across Essex and Suffolk in just 24 hours.

Armed officers at the scene of an arrest connected with a robbery in Felixstowe

Four men have been arrested following an armed robbery in Felixstowe on Friday night.

Festival goers learn archery at Mersea Island Festival, an adventure break for children, young people and adults with or without a physical or learning disability, at Essex Outdoors in Mersea.

The annual Mersea Island Festival has seen people try out a range of adventurous activities.

Police are investigating after rope was tied across a road

‘Lives are being put at risk’ – that’s the warning from Essex Police after motorists had to manoeuvre around a rope which was tied across a road.

Writer and historian Dr Mark Felton

A historian and author from Colchester whose book has been picked up by Hollywood has released a new thriller based on another daring Second World War mission.

Suffolk County Council's headquarters at Endeavour House in Ipswich.

The number of high earners at Suffolk County Council has risen for the first time in four years, according to new figures.

Toby Freeman from Robin Cancer Trust, Ben Payne from Reflective Ice Limited and Angie Diggens from St Helena Hospice are teaming up to have a charity night at the Winter Wonderland and Ice Rink in Colchester Castle Park.

An ice rink planned for central Colchester this winter will be taken over by local charities for a night.

Knives handed in during an amnesty at Clacton Police Station

A survey by a weapons awareness charity has found one-quarter of youngsters in Clacton have been threatened with a knife.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages